Candidate should assist Director of Winemaking in supervising all day-to-day cellar and lab operations, including harvest procedures, bulk wine, barrel maintenance/monitoring, bottling preparation, sanitation, physical and written inventories/required reports, cellar organization and cleanliness. Good physical condition is incumbent on the applicant to perform the job.
Required Skills & Experience
- Degree in Enology, Chemistry or related field desired.
- Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process and understand winemaking regulatory requirements desired.
- 2-4 years’ experience in all aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work, and winemaking analysis is preferred.
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written; spoken Spanish a plus but not mandatory.
- Experience in a premium winemaking environment, and a commitment to growing quality wines desired.
- Strong organizational, team-building, problem solving skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions.
- Available to work a varied schedule during harvest, bottling, blending and marketing work as needed.
- Excellent math skills and accuracy with numbers and strong record-keeping skills along with a working knowledge of data collection and data analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, as well as the ability to learn other related computer programs & databases.
- Previous experience in a management/supervisorial role desired.
- The willingness to live in any of the nearby towns.
Duties are, but not limited to:
- Coordinate and run grape receiving, crushing, pressing during harvest and wine ageing and production operations throughout the year.
- Report, based on regularly tastings, sensory wine evaluations, write regular descriptions during development and have clear understanding of excellence in winemaking.
- Keep track of the winery operations for further reporting purposes, as well as conduct bulk and bottled wine inventories
- Assure all employees comply with the minimum standards of know-how before they start any task and comply with safety procedures.
- Be in charge of the lab and lab records.
- Team up with the Director of Winemaking to fulfill the production requirements by preparing the necessary wine tastings/trials to have the wines ready on time.
- Be aware of and comply with State and Federal regulations.
- Participate in events before customers, trade people and/or wine writers/critics.
- Responsibility for the quality and execution of work performed, review and implementation of standards of care, safety, and operating procedures.
- Oversee and perform maintenance on all winemaking equipment
- Be available for weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers