Hahn Family Wines is an independent, family-owned wine company focused on growing and producing ultra- premium and luxury wines of place. We source from our own estate in the cool climate areas of Monterey County and from select growers in California. We strive to be recognized among the best and win customers for a sustainable future. Hahn Estate is located in Soledad, California, in Monterey County's Santa Lucia Highlands; one of California's premier and most highly-sought after appellations.
The Hahn Carmel Tasting Room is located in Carmel by the Sea, on the ground floor of Carmel Plaza off Ocean Ave and Mission. As you sip on our award-winning wines you may relax in our luxury and inviting venue for visitors and locals alike. Our tasting options include award winning wines of Hahn SLH Estate, Lucienne, Smith & Hook and our proprietary Winery Selections products, available exclusively to Tasting Room guests and wine club members.
The position of Tasting Room Assistant Manager works with the Tasting Room Manager to orchestrate the public face of our winery- with the goal of creating the unforgettable and amazing experience that is central to our mission. Primary functions include: communicating our brand story in an engaging manner to build lasting customer relationships, delivering industry leading customer service, creating an environment that fosters an unforgettable customer experience, selling our portfolio of fine wines and increasing wine club memberships, collaborating on hiring and managing Tasting Room staff, ; ensuring profitable sales while managing Tasting Room operations in an efficient, cost effective manner. We support the California grape and wine industry and are founding members of the Santa Lucia Highlands. Our reputation is made by the guest experience we offer in our tasting room and quality wines. We expect our tasting room staff to champion the California grape and wine industry in a positive and engaging manner. Training for this position will take place at our Hahn Estate Tasting Room located in Soledad, CA.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Core duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned by supervisor.
• 40% Tasting Room Operations and Projects
• 15% Tasting Room Guest Service and Sales
• 25% Tasting Room Staff Management and Training
• 10% Inventory/Merchandising/Procurement
• 10% Other Duties as Required
Competencies and Requirements
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Bachelor’s degree preferred, with an emphasis on business
• Minimum 2 years management experience in retail; ideally wine retail but other luxury retail business experience may be considered
• Experienced delivering best-in-class customer service
• Comfortable leading by example; willing to go the extra mile to “get the job done right”
• Self-starter; a creative problem solver with a “can do” attitude
• Strong project management skills; confident multi-tasking, re-evaluating business priorities in a fast- paced environment
• Dependable, highly organized, detail oriented
• Seasoned sales skills; accomplished selling success history
• Proficient with computers, MS Office Suite with working knowledge of social media
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with sound understanding of generally accepted accounting principles
• Ability to speak confidently and accurately in front of groups, both customers and staff
• Ability to perform basic math skills and close out daily transactions with accuracy
• Must be flexible and available to work variable schedule and holidays
• Must be willing to work at Hahn Estate in Soledad for training and other events if applicable
• Must be at least 21 years of age with valid driver's license and the ability to operate vehicles
• Ability to become and maintain status as an Authorized Company Driver
• Bilingual Spanish and working knowledge of winemaking is a plus
This position has supervisory responsibility.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to taste and smell food and wine, repetitively reach with hands and arms, stands for extended periods of time. The employee must regularly lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds on a repetitive basis, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, repetitively lift at or above shoulder level and stand for extended periods of time. Ability to kneel, bend and stoop to stock retail area by repetitively pushing/pulling and or moving and distributing cases of wine and other merchandise. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, and crouch. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Employee must be able to work in various weather conditions and non-traditional business hours including evenings, weekends and holidays. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; working near moving mechanical parts; extreme cold; extreme heat and vibration. Noise is moderate.
This description is not an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by this position.
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter with salary requirements, your resume and indicate if you are applying for our New Carmel or Soledad, CA location. Please insert “Tasting Room Assistant Manager" in your subject line. You may also submit your information to our confidential HR Fax at (888) 871-3570.