Union Wine Company is looking for a Harvest Winemaker to join our ranks for the upcoming vintage.
We are situated between Portland and the Willamette Valley wine country in a warehouse-winery affectionately know as the Industrial Chateau. Founded in 2005, Union Wine Company attempts to embrace the artistry of making great wine, minus all the fuss. Union cares more about what goes into the bottle than what kind of bottle (or can) it is. The winery has experienced rapid growth: In 2013, we crushed 1,000 tons and have subsequently added 1,000 tons to this each year. We will go a bit further for vintage 2018 to put us at 6,400 tons. While most of this grown has come in the form of the brand Underwood, our other brands continue to remain in focus. These include Kings Ridge, Christopher Michael, Alchemist, and Amity Vineyards.
While this growth has been very manageable with our current winemaking team, we would like to find an individual that will not only help us maintain our expected level of quality, but help bring innovative ideas and practices to our winery. The primary focus of this roll will be to ensure the deserved love and attention of the 200 tons of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, Riesling and Pinot Blanc that compose our premium brands Alchemist Wines and Amity Vineyards.
Scope of Responsibilities
• Assess requirements of the day – labor demand vs supply
• Create work notes to be directly distributed to staff
• Ensure cellar work is being executed properly – feedback through cellar leads
• Through analytical information and organoleptic evaluation:
o Determine pre-fermentation needs of must/juice
o Ensure correct/best-fit yeast are utilized for each fermentation
o Monitor fermentations and make corrective decisions to maximize quality
o Make press calls in collaboration with winemaking staff
o Coordinate and conduct bench top trials to evaluate the potential needs of additives
• Conceptualize, conduct and evaluate lab and winery scale experiments
• Help ensure smart decisions are made to maximize tank and equipment utilization
• Coordinate with winemaking staff to order and maintain winery and harvest equipment and supplies
• Provide outside suggestions to help improve winemaking protocol
• Help troubleshoot unexpected equipment problems
• Maintain a positive attitude amongst the crew
• Use leadership, experience and expertise to inspire and lead the crew
• Years of experience in overall management of medium to large wineries
• Positive disposition
• Ability to learn quickly, adapt to new systems and collaborate easily
• Extremely computer literate – experience with winery specific software
• Enological analytical expertise
• Willingness to walk many miles, stand for long periods of time, and able to lift 50+ pounds repeatedly
• Able to work long hours.
• Compensation for mobile phone bill
• Meals provided while at work
The position will begin around the first of September and ends in mid-November, though this duration is not necessarily set in stone. Start date flexibility is a must.
Union Wine Company is arguably the best winery on planet earth. Search the interwebs for more information, if you’ve not already done so. Essentially you will work with amazing people, eat burritos, learn our secrets, enjoy Portland, work hard and make lifelong friends. What more could you want?