Michael David Winery is owned by brothers Michael and David Phillips, who have built their Lodi, California, winery into one of the fastest growing wineries in the United States. The Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine in 1984 under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now celebrating more than 30 years as a bonded winery, Michael and David have over 800 acres of vineyards in Lodi. They pride themselves on their meticulous farming practices and sustainable wine grape growing, which result in superior quality in the bottle. Their hard work has paid off as the wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationwide.
TASTING ROOM SHIFT LEADER
We currently have an excellent opportunity for an experienced, ambitious, motivated, and driven person who is willing to be part of an exciting team. Reporting to the Hospitality Manager the Tasting Room Shift Leader will be responsible for supporting the team in ensuring a rich consumer experience, building and supporting a consumer loyalty base, and promoting the essence of the company brand. This position will be the champion of customer service and staff education, ensuring professional and knowledgeable communication. Position is full-time, and qualified candidates must be able to work regular schedule which will include weekends and holidays
Responsibilities will include:
• Aiding Hospitality Manager and Assistant Hospitality Manager in leadership of Tasting Room staff and responsibilities.
• Greeting all guest promptly, and graciously while providing knowledge with consistent and courteous responses to questions, complaints and/or problems.
• Insure all problems are resolved to the customer’s satisfaction, or referring issues to management as appropriate.
• Assure all Tasting Room Associates conduct themselves in a professional manner and extend every courtesy and service to VIP’s, wine club members, and visitors.
• Observe and ensure Tasting Room associates are trained to identify and pursue sales opportunities presented by contact with guest.
• Promote the sale of wine, as well as non-wine merchandise, sold in the Tasting Rooms.
• Provide day-to-day guidance and oversight of subordinates by monitoring quality of work, assigning basic duties, and providing support where needed.
• Handle customer concerns and develop customer service solutions with a positive attitude, being able to remain calm and focused under pressure while responding professionally and effectively having a solution-based approach in all interactions.
• Assist in the training and monitoring of seasonal and part-time staff on policies, procedures, new hire orientation, POS / VIN65, and safety.
• Designate and ensure staff lunches and shift breaks are provided and completed.
• Conduct tours and private tastings while covering the history of Phillips Farms-Michael David Winery and our winemaking processes.
• Provides concierge level world class service to club members and guests in all areas of work.
• Actively pursues building and sustaining the membership base of our wine clubs by building customer loyalty, enhancing the guest experience by focusing on the art of hospitality, selling wines, and adding value that converts retail consumers to members.
• Properly promotes and educates customers on the benefits of being a member of the Michael David Wine Clubs.
• Set-up tasting bar(s) or event locations with necessary supplies.
• Present and describe the story of Michael David wines to educate the guest visiting the tasting rooms.
• Assists and aids in the tasks of supporting the Hospitality Manager and Assistant Hospitality Manager with special events, including coordinating appointments for group tastings, club events, and VIP tasting experiences.
• Have thorough knowledge of our POS system. Accurately handle purchases, which include operating cash register and accounting of daily sales, discounts, opening & closing shift registers at wine bar. Able to provide overrides and accommodate special customer circumstances.
• Acquire and maintain thorough knowledge of Michael David Winery to promote our story, unique processes, each of our brands, and the value positioning of our wines.
• Assist guest with transporting purchases to their vehicles or arranging for pick-up, shipment, or delivery.
• Stock, organize, and assist with maintaining wine inventory and tasting room merchandising items.
• Ensure tasting room is clean & maintain the aesthetics of both inside and outside.
• Provide or arrange assistance with guests who need accommodation.
• Wash and dry wine glasses as needed.
• Taking the daily initiative to assist with various projects during tasting room down time and direct staff tasks as needed, with discernment of when to end the shift early of unrequired staff.
• Act as champion in promoting safety and injury prevention.
Qualifications will include
• High School diploma, (GED), or equivalent work experience.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in a Tasting Room environment.
• Must be able to work a regular schedule which will include weekends and holidays.
• Have a proven track record in hospitality, and excellent customer relations skills.
• Knowledge of POS system with VIN65 experience helpful; knowledge of basic computer skills.
• Able to communicate English in written and verbal form (Spanish helpful).
• Must be able to multi-task in a fast-based work environment.
• Supervisory experience helpful.
• Position requires age of 21 years or older.
To be considered a cover letter with your resume must be submitted.
Phillips Farms-Michael David Winery provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.