The Prisoner Wine Company, in St. Helena, CA is seeking a Winemaking Intern who wants to participate in hands on learning in the wine industry. Ideal candidates have completed at least one harvest in a winemaking cellar and have completed or are currently pursuing a degree in Viticulture, Enology or related field. Interns will also have the opportunity visit vineyards, participate in tastings, and/or visit a sister winery within Constellation Brands' portfolio.
This is a seasonal job; dates are generally between August and November, depending on the start of harvest. Hours are determined on an as needed basis to keep up with grape processing. This will include weekend work and overtime.
How does a Winemaking Intern Assist in the Winemaking Process?
This is an excellent opportunity for an extremely organized, motivated, and detailed individual who is looking for a thorough winemaking experience making high quality wine in a dynamic and fast paced environment. This position works directly with the Winemaking Team and will be an integral winemaking support position, helping to facilitate daily harvest winemaking responsibilities and custom crush coordination. Most of the responsibilities will include inspecting grapes, monitoring fermentations, and creating work orders.
Responsibilities May Include the Following Tasks:
* Assist in harvest work order generation and distribution
* Assist with daily fermentation monitoring including tank temperatures, cap inspection and management
* Verification and tracking of daily grape receiving
* Assist in winemaking trials, review and tracking of lab analysis
* Occasional vineyard visits
* Assist Winemakers as needed.
Ideal Candidates Will Have:
* Ability to work from August through the end of November
* Degree in Enology and/or Viticulture (currently enrolled or recent graduate)
* Previous harvest experience in winery production
* Exceptional organizational skills
* Positive attitude and flexibility
* Solid Microsoft Word and Excel skills
* Ability to work various shifts including weekends and overtime
* Good communication skills - oral and written
* Must be at least 21 years of age
* Work Environment:
- Works outdoors/indoors
- Works in warm/cold climates
- Works in high places
- Works on wet surfaces
- Is exposed to loud noise, dust, fumes and/or toxic chemicals
- Works near moving, mechanical parts and lift truck traffic
- Must be able to move up to 55 lbs
- Primary office environment may be warehouse/distribution setting
* Occasional travel with ability to work weekends and overtime.
* Must be able to sit and/or stand for long periods of time and work on a computer for extended periods. Ability to stand and walk over rough terrain in a predominantly outdoor environment. Requires frequent and repetitive bending. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
St. Helena, California
Constellation Brands is committed to a continuing program of equal employment opportunity. All persons have equal employment opportunities with Constellation Brands, regardless of their sex, race, color, age, religion, creed, sexual orientation, national origin or citizenship, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition (cancer or genetic characteristics), marital status, gender (including gender identity or gender expression), familial status, military or veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related conditions (or any other group or category within the framework of the applicable discrimination laws and regulations).