Created in 1978 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, Opus One remains committed to realizing our founders’ dream of bringing to life one unique wine that expresses the seamlessly blended personality and character of each family. With a great sense of pride in our work to realize this dream, the people of Opus One bring profound dedication and unsurpassed attention to detail in our daily work. We care deeply for the quality of our relationships within the winery, with our trade partners and with our customers.
The Northwest States Division Manager represents, supervises and manages the sales of Opus One in the assigned (multi-state, multi-distributor) area within the philosophy and style of Opus One. The Northwest States Division Manager is responsible for developing, nurturing and managing critical partnering with distributors, sales staff, and accounts; act as coach, manager and motivator in areas of allocations, depletions, marketing programs, and placement of our wine in designated accounts; and develop and report market analysis, assist in developing and implementing sales and marketing promotions and perform specific marketing and public relations activities and programs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other exempt duties may be assigned.
Distributor Responsibilities (50%)
• Develop, promote and manage a close working relationship with distributor management and sales force, instilling the culture and philosophy of Opus One, working to establish and advance the image and prestige of Opus One as one of the great wines of the world.
• Meet with distributors to review sales vs. plan, depletions, inventory and implementation of programs. Review accountability of results against stated objectives.
• Train, educate and motivate distributor sales personnel through field work and sales meetings to achieve goals.
Relational Responsibilities (20%)
• Motivate, supervise and educate the distributor management and sales force, key accounts and retailers in assigned territories according to market needs and direction and image of Opus One.
• Communicate existing and new company philosophy, programs.
• Oversee placements, sales vs. plan, depletions, and inventory.
Sales and Market Analysis (20%)
• Develop, maintain, and update key performance objectives in order to effectively determine distributor performance, allocations and sales trends.
• Produce and analyze distributor reports as well as internal allocation/tracking reports utilizing internal systems.
• Develop and conduct market surveys to analyze trends and program needs.
• Formally report market trends and developments to the Vice President of National Sales & Marketing.
Promotion Development (5%)
• Formulate promotional marketing strategies and develop marketing aids.
• Implement marketing promotions that are relevant to the unique nature of individual markets.
Public Relations (5%)
• Represent Opus One in regional public forums (wine symposiums, tastings, dinners, festivals) as a guest speaker.
Key Peer Relationships: The Northwest States Division Manager primarily interacts with fellow domestic Northwest States Division Managers, administrative teams, and the International Sales team.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
BA/BS in Business Administration or related field, a minimum 6 years of fine wine industry experience, strong management background and a thorough understanding of the domestic and international wine market is required. In addition, fluency in French is preferred.
This position requires excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills, an ability to forge strong professional relationships, and proficiency in handling multiple competing tasks and priorities. In addition, the ability to focus on results with impeccable attention to detail, precision and accuracy is critical. Experience working with high-visibility accounts (i.e. hotels, restaurants and leading off-trade accounts) and key distributors is required. Previous experience with Microsoft Office, CRM, BDN, and Targit is strongly preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Employee must be at least 21 years of age, possess a valid driver’s license and be insurable by Opus One. In addition, the ability to travel primarily within the United States and occasional international travel is required.