Since its inception in 1993, Archery Summit has been devoted to crafting exceptional Pinot noir. Inspired by the remarkable growing conditions provided by the Willamette Valley, Archery Summit approaches each step of the wine making process with particular thoughtfulness and care, so as to yield one of the finest and most luxurious Pinot noirs available.
Under the supervision of the Winemaker and General Manager, the Lab Technician is responsible for the execution of the winery laboratory by providing up to date, accurate chemical and microbiological analysis necessary for the quality control of all wines as well as data entry into Vintrace.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The following reflects the essential functions for this job as determined by the Production Team, but does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned. The Winemaker and General Manager may alter duties and responsibilities to this job at any time in order to optimize the team’s balance and professional growth.
• Coordinates with the Winemaking Team to develop consistently accurate and efficient lab practices.
• Responsible for all wine additions during harvest and the balance of the year.
• Enters all additions into database (Vintrace).
• Procedures including but not limited to: °Brix by Densitometer and Refractometer, Alcohol by Ebulliometer, pH, TA, Volatile Acidity, Free SO2, Total SO2, Malic Acid, Glucose/Fructose, K, YAN, Heat and Cold Stability, Acid/Fining Trials, Turbidity, Specific Gravity, CO2, DO2.
• Experience with an Admeo Y15 preferred but not required.
• Accurately enters all lab analysis in database (Vintrace) and maintains database for use in making informed decisions regarding cellar operations.
• Prepare all necessary reagents used in the laboratory and standardize all reagents.
• Clean all glassware and plastic, along with a thorough cleaning of the laboratory when needed.
• Gather and prepare samples for tastings, analysis and bench top trials.
• Perform all required analysis in accordance with established SOPs, Good Laboratory practices and in compliance with established certifications and standards.
• Maintain clean lab work areas and assist with the set-up and clean-up of group wine tastings.
• Perform maintenance and troubleshooting on all laboratory equipment.
• Be able to organize work flow.
• Create work orders for upcoming analysis.
• Be able to interpret analysis and make recommendations.
• Monitor stock of all lab supplies and order as is necessary.
• Be able to work under supervision, in teams and alone.
• Be able to work extended hours and weekends during crush.
• Assists where required during busy harvest season; willing to work extended hours as necessary.
• Provides support in the cellar as needed by Winemaker or Cellar Crew with assignments including but not limited to forklift work, filtering, chemical additions and inoculations.
• Maintains/Orders all cleaning supplies for cellar and lab.
• May be asked to host groups on or off-site and act as an ambassador of Archery Summit
• Winery in any interactions with the public or within the wine industry.
EDUCATION TRAINING AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
• Desire to become part of a team dedicated to crafting fine wines
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in Viticulture & Enology or related degree
• Minimum experience of two years in winery lab or wine production team
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow
• Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
• Acute attention to detail
• Experience with accessing and maintaining Winery tracking software in Vintrace
• Experience in a laboratory environment familiarity with equipment, and safety procedures
• Experience in research, ability to develop and follow through with experiments and trials
• Spanish/other foreign language skills a plus