Rooted in rebellion. Commitment to regenerate.
Founded in 1968 by Barney Fetzer in Mendocino County, California, Fetzer Vineyards is an award-winning purveyor of wines from sustainable, organic and biodynamic grapes. In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards, named the 2016 American Winery of the Year by Wine Enthusiast magazine. Other California-based offerings include Adorada, Anthony’s Hill, Jekel Vineyards, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, a Bourbon barrel aged Zinfandel recognized as a 2017 IMPACT Hot Prospect brand. Part of global winery Viña Concha y Toro, Fetzer Vineyards exports its diverse wines to more than 30 countries worldwide. Most recently, the winery entered the ultra-luxury wine and spirits category by forging a partnership with Kentucky Peerless Distilling Co. to sell its historic craft rye whiskey.
We’re hiring a Project Engineer. Reporting to the Director of Facilities, Maintenance and Engineering, you will research, design, engineer and implement new systems and process improvements across all departments of the winery. You will be responsible for capital projects, process improvements, maintenance projects and production equipment.
• Designs and plans capital projects; estimates and prepares capital project budgets and justifications in conjunction with department managers; analyzes action options for best financial results; compiles detailed action plan and calendar phases of project through completion date, assuring timelines will be met.
• Develops project acceptance and signoff criteria and follows through with staff and vendors to ensure project is completed and benefits are delivered according to plan.
• Maintains knowledge of wine and beverage industry standards and advances. Uses knowledge to evaluate winery, bottling, trucking and facility equipment and to identify innovations that offer quality, efficiency and cost improvements.
• Designs custom new machinery or modifications to existing machinery to satisfy internal customers. Oversees the manufacturing and commissioning of new or modified equipment.
• Coordinates and interfaces with all related subcontractors, engineers, architects, outside vendors, outside services, materials management and personnel management.
• Coordinates with Managers and Supervisors to assign work and to schedule employees to tasks in accordance with work priority and manpower availability.
• Interacts with all facilities, communicating timelines and service interruptions. Communicates with operating departments, providing managers and employees with all necessary information.
• Reviews best practices and evaluates existing systems and equipment in regards to their effectiveness, efficiency and safety. Advises operating managers regarding process improvements.
• Works closely with Purchasing, Vendors and Supervisors to ensure necessary materials, equipment and labor are on-site as required for timely completion of the job or project.
• Participates in vendor reviews and evaluations as needed. Serves as liaison with outside vendors and equipment suppliers. Responsible for developing win/win scenarios when working or partnering with outside vendors.
• Responsible for safety at all times, including process design and equipment specification. Ensure that ergonomics are considered in design, and that safety and health hazards are identified and eliminated during project execution.
• Evaluates current processes and proposed projects using the Fetzer Re3 criteria of restore, revitalize and regenerate. Investigates alternatives and recommends projects that further Re3 goals.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Packaging related field, plus a minimum of five years of wine/beverage project engineering operational experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Strong project engineering and project management skills
• Strong commitment to continuous improvement and safety
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact effectively with all levels of management within the organization and with outside supplier base
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Developed computer skills including Word, Excel, Email, project planning software and engineering software
• CAD experience; AutoCAD preferred
• Valid California Driver’s License
• Prior experience in commercial winery, bottling and/or production environments
• Direct experience with winery equipment including crush pad, refrigeration, chillers, boilers, tank controls, pumps
• Direct experience with facilities systems and equipment including HVAC, air compressors, wastewater, piping
Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. and push and pull up to 50 lbs. on an occasional basis; requires ability to walk, stand, and sit; reach outward and upward, climb, crawl, squat, kneel, and bend; requires hand and finger dexterity for keyboarding for extended periods of time.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Our California winery operation includes 1000 acres of farmed vineyards and over 3 million cases produced annually. Operations include Mendocino County winery, production and vineyard locations. The company employs nearly 300 across the United States.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449.
Tell us about your passion for the wine industry and apply online http://fetzervineyards.appone.com.
Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V. You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.