Montinore Estate is seeking to add a Viticulturalist to our team to oversee the management of our 230+ acres of certified Biodynamic and organic estate vineyards, establish a seasonal farm plan on a block-by-block level and oversee all seasonal vineyard operations as they pertain to the execution of the farm plan and growing ultra-premium wine grapes.
The Viticulturist manages Montinore Estate’s farming and viticulture practices. The viticulturist collaborates and works closely with vineyard management and the viticulture team. This individual will utilize their technical viticulture expertise, combined with solid agricultural techniques to promote vine health, sustainability, crop yield and the quality of the fruit that is produced. They will maintain and continue to develop our commitment to Biodynamic and organic farming practices.
Essential Job Functions
• Collaborate on the planning and budgeting, implement the plan and manage the costs
• Oversee pruning, tying, shoot thinning, shoot positioning, trellis and canopy manipulation, suckering, weed control, cultivation, crop estimation, crop thinning, irrigation scheduling, nutrition, pest and fungicide management and harvest coordination.
• Coordinate supervision and labor to implement the vineyard operations including managing vineyard manager/foremen/crew leaders.
• Responsible for the creation and implementation of a schedule to monitor individual block performance and highlight issues
• Active member of the Viticulture Team providing input from core competencies such as vine nutrition, pest management and other inputs that strengthen the team’s approach to farming decisions
• Develop and implement nutrition programs and validate results through petiole analysis and other diagnostic processes
• Manage trial blocks and experimental varieties and techniques
• Nutrition trials and all trials that are advancing wine quality
• Work directly with the winemaking team
• Implementation of viticulture technologies aimed at increasing production and quality
• Coordinate/Assist in managing the spray program. This may include writing work orders, adherence to spray intervals, scheduling equipment, purchasing materials, communicating with neighbors and winemakers regarding reentry intervals
• Provide support to the vineyard management staff for all regulatory recordkeeping requirements
• Maintain expectation for quality standards for growers of non-estate vineyards
• Demonstrated solid knowledge of viticulture practices
• Strong partnering skills and ability to work within a team
• Strong verbal/written communication skills in English and Spanish
• Computer skills including MS Office, and practical competence with agriculture oriented computer applications
• A rudimentary understanding of winemaking to assist with understanding winegrowing goals and fruit/wine quality grading.
• Ability to work overtime (extended hours and weekends) as required
• Maintain safety protocol and recording keeping
• Clean DMV record
• Frequently required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects and/or keyboard
• Required to reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, or crouch
• Must be able to frequently lift and/or move up to 50 lbs
• Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus
• Long and irregular hours during peak periods or on various shifts