Located in Napa, our winery is looking for an Assistant Winemaker to join our team. Ideal candidates will have international winemaking experience.
• Work closely with lead Winemaker, interacting on a daily basis.
• Develop and maintain plans for winemaking and blending operations.
• Develop and understand priorities for winemaking operations.
• Coordinate pre-bottling winemaking and wine blending activities.
• Maintain records of wine blending operations.
• Maintain up to the moment inventories of bulk wine.
• Quality assurance and quality control of bulk wine and lees intake and processing. Responsible for tasking incoming lees and determining which winemaking program each IBC of lees will follow.
• Perform complete chemical profile analysis of all wine and juice entering winery, whether as bulk wine, grape juice, or by roto-vac extraction from lees.
• Meet regularly with Director of Cellar Operations and other Assistant Winemakers.
• Prepare work orders. Production is responsible for ensuring that work orders are carried out correctly, and to determine corrective actions when necessary.
• Oversee operations of analysis laboratory and supervise Laboratory Technicians.
• Take and analyze bulk wine samples to ensure work orders are carried out correctly, and that wine production proceeds according to plan.
• Perform periodic (every three weeks) analysis of the free SO2 and Volatile Acidity of wines.
• Quality assurance and quality control of bottled wine.
• Collect quality control samples from bottling crew from each bottling.
• Submit one sample from each bottling to third-party laboratory for analysis of microbiological stability.
• Ensure that fill volume is within acceptable deviation of 750 mL.
• Check Oxygen pickup (amount of O2 absorbed by wine during bottling process) and check vacuum pressure in the bottle headspace.
• Main work schedules and oversee quality of performance.
• Ensure that Laboratory is maintained in clean orderly slate.
• Maintain inventories of all reagents and materials needed for operation of laboratory.
• Maintain inventories of all reagents and materials needed for winemaking.
• Coordinate with Project Coordinator to order materials as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology or related, or a combination of education, training and experience.
• 3-5 years winemaking experience, with international winemaking highly preferred.
• Thermovinification techniques that involve heat to extract polyphenols from the grapes.
• Maturity evolution control.
• Control of the malolactic fermentation.