Operations Manager sought for Napa Estate winery with production under 100,000 cases per year.
Reporting directly to the Director of Operations and indirectly to the Winemaker, the Operations Manager is responsible for overseeing the activities, staff and maintenance of bottling & warehouse operations. The position is directly responsible for efficiency, safety and quality assurance in these areas, as well as planning, budgeting and facilitating cross-functional teams and outside vendors to achieve targets.
Essential Job Functions:
• Responsible for overseeing execution of Bottling Plan, developed in coordination with the Winemaking team, including managing timelines, budgets, supplies, compliance and inventory tracking and logistics.
• Hands-on backup operator for the Bottling Line Captain. Responsible directly as necessary and indirectly via Bottling Line Captain for startup and shut down of bottling line activities and operations.
• Manage the Warehouse Lead and the Bottling Line Captain to assure timely shipping, receiving and inventory management of all products, materials, and chemicals for all winery departments. Responsible for setting up usable programs to ensure organized shipping and receiving.
• Manage the bottling line employees, both full-time and temporary. Responsible for creating and executing staffing plan, coordinating with temporary agencies as needed.
• Responsible for the budgeting and purchase of wine bottling enology products and packaging supplies as directed and approved by the Winemakers.
• Responsible for maintaining wine quality standards and immediately notifying Operations Director and/or Winemakers of any potential wine or bottling quality issues.
• Complete or ensure completion and distribution of regular production, inventory, compliance and financial reports.
• Familiar with cellar workflow, SOPs and harvest protocols to enable Operations Manager to work seamlessly with Cellar Master and Maintenance Manager year round and facilitate logistics during harvest.
• Assist in capital budgeting process.
Additional Job Functions:
• Responsible for ensuring that monthly physical inventories of bottling line supplies, not limited to corks, wine labels, wax, empty glass, and capsules is available timely to the necessary managers.
• Ensure all responsible staff and areas follow winery safety procedures.
• Assist during the harvest season as directed.
• Work with department managers on budgeting decisions.
• Conduct annual employee reviews.
• Proficient in Word, Excel and basic computer skills. AMS experience a plus.
• Further bottling, warehouse, cellar and maintenance area duties that may be required.
Must be able to stand for many hours throughout the full workday.
Must be able to kneel, bend/stoop and crouch down.
Must be able to lift and carry a 48-pound case of wine.
Must be able to drive/operate a forklift.
Must be able to answer the telephone, and to understand, speak, and write in English.