Responsible for leading the vineyard team to execute the farming plan along with the overall management of all operations, viticulture, long term planning and budgets. This is a wide-ranging, multi-disciplined position that functions with very high attention to detail, and strong leadership, organizational, time management and communication skills.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Department management: dynamically lead a best-of-class multi-disciplined, diverse team based on precepts which embody a driven obsession for grape quality and cutting edge results using advanced and environmentally responsible farming practices and tools.
• Team leader—inter-departmental communication: participate as a company team leader; communicate department activities to executive management in a clear and consistent manner. Implement and execute executive team directives and create an environment of high esprit d’ corp.
• Estate vineyards: oversee management, design and execution of development and operations to produce the highest quality grapes, vine health and balanced crop yields.
• Recordkeeping: maintain an industry leading comprehensive, efficient and dynamic recordkeeping system (i.e., internal network) to provide highly relevant metrics including historical tracking capabilities to serve as the basis for both vineyard and executive team member’s short and long-term decision-making.
• Grower relations and grape sourcing: foster strong relationships with contract grape providers to achieve highest level fruit quality appropriate to company’s brand programs. Direct grape sourcing activities for new opportunities and fulfilling program estimates.
• Grape supply forecasting: in collaboration with executive management develop long range strategies for managing grape supply via forecasting estate vineyard yields, managing contracted grower supply and vineyard acquisitions in order to accomplish production goals per salespro.
• Crop yield management: perform accurate yield projections and manage block level crop yield control to achieve program parameters.
• Spending and cost control: manage yearly spending via build and management of comprehensive budgets, spending reports, and activity data metrics analysis. Ability to anticipate spending flow changes throughout the growing season and address in an efficient cost effective manner.
• Planning and organization: create, execute and maintain yearly, monthly, and weekly vineyard schedules and farm plans.
• Promotional, marketing and internal education and messaging: Present and educate company employees, press, trade, and consumers with respect to company’s sustainable practices and high-end, environmentally responsible approach to farming via interaction and exchange with our marketing and sales teams, in various company presentations, and during in-market work.
• Additional responsibilities: additional responsibilities may be assigned by manager as required.
Qualifications & Skills:
• Minimum 7 years of vineyard experience, 10 years desirable.
• Ability to supervise vineyard staff and interact professionally, diplomatically and eloquently with a diverse group of individuals at all levels, internally and externally.
• Excellent written and oral communication, and time management skills.
• Bilingual English and Spanish.
• Holds a valid driver license, with the ability to pass a background check.
• Bachelor’s degree preferably in science, viticulture or similar field.
• Strong computer skills; proficiency with Excel, Word, Outlook, Agcode, and Database Systems.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards, with a heightened appreciation of premium wines.
• Quality and performance driven, seeks perfection with a keen eye for detail. Sense of urgency and solution oriented.
• Communicates well in any form of media: articulate, concise, clear, and transparent.
• Cheerful, positive, “can do attitude”. Fair, friendly, firm, compassionate, authentic.
• Works smart, strong work ethic. Organized, proactive, focused. Smoothly manages shifting priorities. Works well individually/collectively. Meets/exceeds task deadlines.
• Intuitive, sound judgment, common sense. Curious, high integrity, responsible, collaborative.
• Coachable and a good coach to others.
• Fresh, forward, critical thinker. Self-aware. Embraces constant incremental improvement.