Farmstead Cheeses and Wines is an independent, award-winning wine and cheese shop. We have two locations - Oakland and Alameda, and feature some pretty amazing wines from around the world. Our wine set is mostly international (about 30% domestic), and we try to feature wines from all over, in most styles, and across all price points.
This position also includes non-wine sales duties, like cheese cleaning, care and sales; opening and/or closing the store; stocking shelves; and other duties.
* At least one year of experience in wine retail or wine-focused hospitality.
* Knowledge of and passion for fine wines and wine making.
* An enthusiastic passion for great food and wine, and the cultures that produce them, etc.
* Great communications skills (we're looking for the ability to communicate clearly and simply about wine and cheese).
* A sense of personal responsibility that includes punctuality and a healthy, old-fashioned work ethic.
* Ability to follow directions.
* Proven sales and customer service competence.
* Ability to lift 40-65 pounds several times during the day. Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
* Windows computer savvy, with working knowledge of programs such as Outlook, Excel, Word, Google Docs, etc.
* A flexible schedule -- weekends, evenings, opening and/or closing shifts. Weekend work and closing shifts are mandatory.
* Verifiable references.
* Deep knowledge of the wines and wine regions of France, Italy, Austria, California, Oregon, Washington, Germany, Spain, and Portugal (knowledge of wine regions like South Africa, Slovenia, Georgia, Croatia, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand helpful as well, as we have a very eclectic selection)
* Appreciation of organic, biodynamic and natural wine production methods. (While we aren't a 'natural' wine shop per se, a significant percentage of the wines we carry are from organically grown grapes, follow biodynamic farming methods, or are made with minimal intervention).
*Must be at least 21 years of age
We offer a collegial and fun work environment, a SIMPLE IRA plan, partially subsidized health care, PTO, and very generous staff discounts.
Along with your resumé, send us an email, and in a few paragraphs tell us about yourself and why you'd be the perfect candidate to work in a great wine and cheese shop; and how your work history, qualifications for the job, and personality would fit in with our shop.
No cover letter, no response. Please no phone calls or unscheduled drop-ins!