Job Title: Production Plant Manager
Job Type: Exempt
Reports To: General Manager
Education: Bachelor’s degree and/or 7 + years related experience
Family owned and operated for five generations since 1933, M.S. Walker is a leading wholesaler of fine wines and spirits with headquarters in Massachusetts. We serve retail stores, restaurants, bars and hotels with direct distribution in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Hampshire and New Jersey. We also rectify and bottle our own brands of spirit products which are marketed in 42 states. In addition, we act as a marketing agent within the New England states for many of our Suppliers’ brands and as importer of several national products sourced from regions around the world.
Position Overview: Leading wine and spirits distributor, M.S. Walker, is seeking a dependable and motivated individual to manage it's alcohol beverage processing and manufacturing plant. Position will oversee all aspects of production, shipping and warehousing.
Responsibilities (including, but not limited to):
• Planning, organizing and regulating production and maintenance operations.
• Implements manufacturing strategies and actions for the accomplishment of plant production goals.
• Responsible for training, selecting and motivating plant supervisory and administrative staff.
• Achieve an effective use of staffing in each department.
• Plan, organize and optimize precautionary maintenance plans
• Support and direct all safety and environmental initiatives
• Report departmental key metrics related to maintenance systems
• Create and sustain SOP’s for all maintenance, safety and environmental-related activities
• Direct the team to develop and uphold engineering competencies at the factory
• Supervise capital investments to ensure most favorable decisions are made and implemented regarding factory resources in alignment with the market business strategy
• Initiate and coordinate implementation of new processes and technologies
• Mange site assets, facility maintenance and modification of equipment
• Ensure mechanical and electrical expertise is available to the Production Department to carry out production activities smoothly
• Improve manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning work flow, space requirements and equipment layout
• Calculate production, labor and material costs and review production schedules
• Lead the department to achieve the safety, quality, customer service, cost, sustainability and employee engagement goals of the organization
• Drive best practice and sharing ideas across the team, looking at all-times to find economies of scale, maximizing effectiveness and efficiency
• Plan and develop standard systems and procedures to improve the operating quality and efficiency of the department
• Analyze and document department processes and problems
• Oversee staff scheduling to include work assignments, training, vacations, employee breaks, overtime assignment and back up for absent employees
• Track key performance indicators/costs, anticipate and correct trends, which would compromise achievement of financial targets
• Provide cross training and skill development for production personnel
• Troubleshoot and lead problem solving efforts through the facilitation of team meetings
• Ensure that production is executed in accordance with the production schedule provided, to maintain stock levels and meet export shipping dates
• Improve efficiency and enhance processes
• Develop and implement systems and tools and train employees
• Manage policy development in the areas of manufacturing techniques, quality, cost reduction, complete and on-time delivery
• Ensure proper warehousing and inventory control procedures
• Participate in capital planning and budgeting
• Oversee the maintenance of buildings, equipment, plant security and protection
• Leadership: to ensure that production target dates are met.
• Mechanical: knowledge production machinery, pumps, tanks, piping, conveyor systems, fillers, case packers, automatic palletizers, case/bottle unloaders, labeling machines, coders, etc.
• Electrical: MA Electrical License, PLC knowledge, programming, controls, VFD’s
• Building Maintenance: air compressors, hot water boilers, HVAC units, fire, security alarms, plumbing, etc.
• People Skills: negotiating collective bargaining agreement; union environment. Supervise and manage the staff successfully.
• Ability to frequently stand, sit, walk, and verbally communicate with others
• Occasionally bend/squat, climb, push/ pull objects, reach overhead and lift/carry up to 55lbs
• Occasional to frequent use of computers, electronic devices and systems
We offer a Comprehensive Benefits Plan that includes the following:
• Medical & Dental coverage
• 401K program
• Disability & Life Insurance package
• Paid Vacation & Holidays
• Career advancement opportunities
• Discount fitness memberships
• Work/Life resources