Nappi’s Director of Wine Sales is responsible to lead and inspire our Wine Division team to ensure alignment with sales and service expectations of our importers/suppliers, retailers, and consumers for achievement of tactical and strategic objectives. This position identifies opportunities to develop, cultivate, and strengthen relationships with internal and external stakeholders to drive volume and profit share growth with key current and prospective customers. Consistent with Nappi objectives, this position ensures compliance with regulatory, industry, and community partners’ requirements.
• Establishes and drives performance expectations and goals for the Wine Division.
• Initiates, executes, and oversees strategies and priorities for sales objectives and
quotas, forecasting, budgeting, purchasing, inventory, service, and processes to
advance growth in all distribution channels.
• Proactively analyzes business needs and trends to ensure alignment of marketing
strategies and development of plans to achieve maximum net profitability, increase
market share, and expand our wine and other products portfolios as assigned.
• Develops and cultivates collaborative relationships with key suppliers, accounts,
industry peers, regulatory agencies, internal resources, and co-workers. Regularly
communicates and visits with key suppliers and customers to provide strategic
recommendations, conduct formal and informal market surveys, and verify execution
• Maintains sales volume, product mix, and selling price by monitoring direct and
indirect costs, competition, supply and demand, changing trends, economic indicators,
• Establishes and oversees strategies for inventory management to maximize
profitability and minimize impact of inventory with ongoing evaluation of trends,
freight costs, and supply challenges.
• Monitors YTD progress vs. plan and adjusts team's performance and execution against
plan as necessary.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of programming, incentives and other volume driving
initiatives and suggests new approaches to overcome obstacles and improve sales
• Oversees planning and execution of marketing events and promotions to increase
Nappi brands, service awareness, and loyalty with existing and prospective customers.
• Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops;
reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in
professional organizations, and staying current on competitor initiatives.
• Drives an education agenda for team members to position Nappi as the industry
experts and develop a strong talent pipeline.
• Communicates Nappi’s wine sales strategy, objectives, priorities, performance status,
plan adjustments and expectations to Wine Sales and support team.
• Proactively holds team members accountable for execution of plans, achievement of
results, adherence to instructions, standards, regulations, policies, procedures, and
overall expectations. Coaches and counsels as appropriate and when necessary.
• Ensures execution of Nappi customer service standards through development, training
• Coordinates formal and informal market surveys to verify execution of programming
and initiates corrective actions when needed.
• Develops staff utilizing formal and informal mentoring approaches, assignment of
projects, special initiatives, and identification of internal/external training resources to
elevate or fill any skill gaps.
• Ensures compliance with regulatory requirements for Wine Sales Division, self, and
• Directs, applies, and supports the consistent implementation/application of Nappi’s
values, initiatives, and policies/guidelines
• Recruits and selects Wine sales team members and oversees their effective orientation
and training to accelerate their contribution and effectiveness..
• Develops a culture of continuous process improvement within the Wine Division
including optimizing the effectiveness of Nappi’s technology investments.
• Provides input to other senior leadership members in the development and
administration of sales incentive compensation and other company wide programs and
• 5+ years of solid sales or marketing management experience within the distribution,
hospitality, supplier or other industry related occupation.
• Bachelor’s degree in a business or marketing related field is preferred.
• Demonstrated strong leadership ability, entrepreneurial attitude, exercise solid
judgement, and a good team player.
• Comprehensive understanding of wine including regions/varietals, product/food
pairing techniques, basic production, and service.
• Industry certifications such as CWS, WSET and Cicerone is a plus.
• Experience in developing sales strategies and performance metrics. Proficient at
calculating commissions, percentages, and reviewing comparative sales data for
• Goal oriented, focused, and assertive individual who needs little direction or
• Excellent negotiation and sales skills; demonstrated experience with contract
• Strong verbal, written and presentation communication skills
• Solid computer skill experience, preferably Microsoft Office, including proficiency with
Excel and PowerPoint.
• Ability to work effectively under pressure and timely meet deadlines.
• Adaptable and ability to effectively interact with a variety of internal customer groups
and varying personality types.
• A valid driver's license, and maintenance of an acceptable driving record is required
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.