Under general supervision by the Director of Operations, the Tasting Room and Events Manager will oversee and conduct tastings at our Mount Eden Vineyards location as well as be a key player in developing our new weekend tasting experience at our Domaine Eden Location. In addition, this individual is responsible for booking and managing private and corporate events at the Domaine Eden Location. This position plays a key role in influencing the public’s perception of Mount Eden Vineyards and Domaine Eden; therefore, must possess excellent communication and guest service skills.
Please review the job description carefully and email a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Mount Eden Vineyards is a small historic wine estate perched at 2000 feet overlooking Silicon Valley in the Santa Cruz Mountain Appellation, about 50 miles south of San Francisco. Founded in 1945, it is recognized as one of the original “boutique” California winery properties, focusing on small lots of Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Mount Eden’s lineage of estate bottled Chardonnay and Pinot Noir is the longest in California. Planted in austere, infertile Franciscan shale on a cool, exposed mountaintop, these low-yielding estate vineyards have consistently produced world-class wines for over 70 years.
In 2007, Mount Eden purchased a nearby mountaintop wine estate. This property inspired a new wine brand, Domaine Eden, which focuses on Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from this special site and Bordeaux varieties from Mount Eden’s larger home, the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Must have a minimum 5 years’ experience, preferably in tasting rooms in wine, beer, or spirits, with direct leadership knowledge to develop teams of multiple levels and experience.
- Previous sales, marketing, and/or hospitality experience required.
- Event production experience required.
- Must have direct experience building, maintaining, and engaging with guests in a dynamic environment.
- Technical experience with customer account management preferred, but must have experience with various POS (point of sale) systems and proficiency with MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of proper wine service and table management.
- Proficient collaboration and communication skills to make public presentations, providing expert wine service.
- Must have an understanding of basic DTC shipping and compliance regulations.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Extended wine education through third-party certification is preferred but not mandatory. However, must be comfortable relaying a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of wine, the winemaking process, history, vineyards, and The Mount Eden and Domaine Eden portfolio.
- Familiarity with social media and the rules around wine and alcohol posts.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- In partnership with management, plan and develop initiatives to achieve the financial plan for the tasting rooms and events
- Ensures implementation of experiences that drive consumer engagement and increase loyalty
- Ensures weekly and monthly reporting is completed and communicated to the team
- Works cross-functionally with Mount Eden leadership to ensure estate mindset and teamwork
- Manages and assists in the development and execution of events both consumer, corporate, and club
- Manages the recruiting, training, development, and coaching of all tasting room staff
- Creates and ensures execution of staff education schedule to include brand standards, policies and procedures, wine, and sales education
- Ensures all new tasting room staff are onboarded properly to Mount Eden standards
- Responsible for ensuring all meal and break periods adhere to California law
- Responsible for the management of the maintenance and upkeep of the tasting locations
- Responsible for social media for both sites
- Ensures POS material is developed and executed on time and to brand standards for the tasting rooms and events
- Ensure the safety of our staff and visitors across the entire campus through regular safety monitoring and reporting
- Ensures all supplies are budgeted and consistently maintained
- Ensure the security of all buildings during all hours
- Attend and actively participate in manager meetings, etc
- Monitor RBS status for all service staff members
- Ensures reservation system is maximized for revenue potential
- This position requires obtaining ABC-approved Responsible Service Certification within 2 weeks of hire date.
- Must be willing to relocate
• Stand/sit for long periods of time.
• Have frequent need to perform the following physical activities: bend/stoop/squat, climb stairs, push or pull, reach above shoulders.
• Extensive computer work.
• Frequent deadline pressures & numerous projects in progress at any given time.
• Frequently lift up to 40 lbs.
• Have frequent need to perform standing and walking activities.
• Must be able to work evenings, weekends, holidays.
Employee-sponsored retirement plan
$34 - $38 per hour
Create a Job Alert
Receive an email alert when similar new jobs are posted. It's free, fast and easy.