Hall Wines, a prestigious Napa Valley winery focused on producing the highest quality Cabernet Sauvignon is seeking a full-time Enologist.
Performs all lab analysis, related data entry and reporting to the highest standards. Supervises full-time lab technician and harvest lab staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Works under minimal supervision to perform and document lab tests year round to ensure maximum wine quality and accurate inventories.
• Maintains the lab in general including supplies, inventories, standard operating procedures and equipment.
• Accurately reports all analysis including data entry in Winemaker’s Database and excel spreadsheets.
• Responsible for training and supervising lab technician and seasonal harvest lab staff.
• Responsible for supervising the collection and preparation of samples for regular tastings and trials.
• Responsible for maintaining bottling quality control by performing standard checks and analysis.
• Supervises, performs and documents quality control testing of corks, labels, and other items as identified; participates on cork sensory panel.
• Assists in the cellar as needed including but not limited to barrel work, racking, blending, filtering, and chemical additions.
• Assists where required during busy harvest season; works long hours as required at harvest.
• Leads and/or assists with tours or off site events as needed.
• Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in related field or equivalent.
• Minimum three years’ experience in winery lab, one year Enologist I experience strongly
• Supervisory experience.
• Skilled in MS office and winery database applications.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills; able to manage priorities and workflow.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of various teams and committees.
• Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Working knowledge of data collection, data analysis, evaluation, and scientific method.
• Experience with laboratory environment, equipment, and safety procedures.
• Experience in research and development, including understanding of statistical analysis.
• Valid drivers license with clean record.
• Spanish language skills a plus.
• Able to lift 50 pounds on a regular basis.
• Able to walk, kneel, bend, and stand.
• Able to see, taste and smell.
No phone calls please.