Voted one of the North Bay Business Journal’s Best Places to Work!
Don Sebastiani & Sons (DSS) is the next generation in a deep rooted family history of winemaking dating back to the 1900’s. Drawing on our negociant family history, we are a purveyor of upscale, moderately priced varietal wines sourced from some of the best growing regions worldwide.
Our award winning brands include our eponymous Don & Sons Sonoma Signature Series Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast), B Side (Napa Valley), Aquinas (Napa Valley), The Crusher (Clarksburg), Project Paso (Paso Robles), Il Donato (Italy), Smoking Loon and Pepperwood Grove.
Headquartered in beautiful Sonoma, with a winery in the Napa Business Park, Don Sebastiani & Sons is growing and expanding and we are in need of inspired, creative and experienced people to complement our team.
DSS offers competitive salary as well as a comprehensive benefits package including a choice of Traditional HMO Health Plans or High Deductible Health Plans paired with a generously employer funded Health Savings Account, as well as Dental and Vision coverage. Other offerings include an Employee Assistance Program, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts with Medical and Dependent care pre-tax benefits (FSA), 401K with discretionary profit sharing, paid time off (PTO), paid holidays, wine gifts, wine discounts and fun events throughout the year.
If you're looking for a rewarding environment in which to build a fulfilling career, and feel you’d be a fit for this position, you are invited to apply by including a cover letter and resume in response to this listing. Please include the position title and your name in the subject line.
Position Summary: Under the supporting direction of the Winemaker(s), the Enologist will provide winemaking, technical, lab and supervisory support to the winemaking team and oversee the lab.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide direction, supervision and technical support of our laboratory
• Organize, schedule and supervise the work of the Lab Technicians
• Maintain laboratory quality and precision standards
• Alert winemakers of problems that arise and out-of-specification analysis
• Accurately record the processing, blending and inventory of wine through the input of work orders across all facilities using Winemakers Database (WMDB)
• Run and reconcile WMDB and Navision inventory reports on a regular basis
• During harvest process weigh tags and increased flow of work orders
• Arrange weekly shipping and trucking for all facilities
• Track dry goods and materials inventory in WMDB
• Order, process and track cellar supply orders for all locations in Navision
• Conduct month-end bulk wine reconciliation
• Participate in blending and tasting of bulk wines in order to be able to report any issues to winemakers
• Perform on-site and off-site harvest responsibilities as determined by the winemaking team. This might require some travel and extended workday.
• Oversee production for winemaking at Napa Winery when winemakers are needed elsewhere
• Order materials needed for production as requested by winemakers or cellar lead
• Perform special assignments, projects, and other duties as required
• Abide by all HACCP and ISO programs as part of DSS compliance
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Chemistry or related field
• Minimum of two years’ experience in a winemaking environment
• Experience with wine tracking
• Demonstrated analytical skills, as well as strong verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrated sensory skills
• Ability to develop, design, and execute projects under tight timetables
• Ability to work under pressure while managing multiple projects
• Proficiency in WMDB strongly preferred
• Navision software experience helpful
• Ability to speak and read/write Spanish a plus
• Supervisory skills and experience preferred but not required
• Ability to carry up to 40 pounds of supplies
• Be able to climb catwalks and perform additions at 30 foot heights
• Sort grapes by pulling all non-grape items from sorting tables.
• Requires ability to walk, stand and sit, sometimes for prolonged periods of time.
• Requires sufficient good health to properly discharge duties.
• Requires ability to travel to various geographic locations and some overnight stays.
• Requires ability to drive assigned vehicle(s) or personal vehicle, with appropriate state license, following all laws applicable; must provide proof of liability insurance and must be eligible to be insured under DSS’s insurance policy.