Responsible for locating and sourcing grapes for wine programs at appropriate quality and price targets with minimal direction. Also is responsible for providing market intelligence on grape market pricing and availability and supports developing strategic sourcing plans for their geographical area. Other responsibilities consist of building and maintaining relationships with growers and monitoring all aspects of grape production. Advises growers on production methods, ensures quality control.
• Functions as a liaison between winery and growers, educating/advising them on market conditions, quality standards and viticultural practices.
• Develops and maintains vineyard records on cultural practices, yields, and grape quality.
• Monitors all aspects of crop development and forecasts crop tonnages.
• Coordinates the scheduling and delivery of grapes from the field to winery.
• Negotiates all contract terms.
• Develops and implements grape quality improvement projects for their contracted growers.
• Initiates, implements and manages short and long term projects to improve cost margins and improve quality of grapes purchased.
• Provides cost savings and avoidance input for project requests.
• Develops grape pricing strategies for their geographical area in conjunction with overall strategic grape supply (Targeted Program Price).
• Develops processes and procedures to collect, analyze and disseminate market intelligence on a timely manner.
• Develops recommendations to change policies and procedures to achieve goals of the Target Program Prices and Improved Grape Quality.
• Establishes and executes against the Grape Purchase Budget which is developed utilizing Targeted Program Prices for their geographical area.
• Represents the company in various public/community situations.
• Oversees the performance of growers and monitors their application of procedure; reports issues to Grower Relations Area Manager.
• Trains and develops new Grower Relations Reps.
• Must maintain satisfactory attendance, to include timeliness.
• Responsible for understanding and complying with applicable quality, environmental and safety regulatory considerations. If accountable for the work of others, responsible for ensuring their understanding and compliance.
• This job description reflects management's assignment of essential functions; it does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
• Mentors Grower Relations Reps and Grower Relations Technician(s).
• Supports the review and evaluation of personnel.
• Master of Business Administration degree plus 4 years of agriculture business, grower relations, or general sales experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility OR Bachelor's degree in Agricultural Business, Viticulture, Plant Science, or Business Administration plus 6 years of agriculture business, grower relations, or general sales experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility OR 10 years of agriculture business, grower relations, or general sales experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
• Valid driver's license and acceptable DMV record.
• Required to travel to various sites via automobile to satisfy daily job requirements.
• Required to work long hours during peak season.
• Required to lift and move up to 25 pounds.
• Required to participate in continuing educational classes/seminars.
• High School diploma or GED.
• Master of Business Administration degree plus 6 years of agriculture business, grower relations, or general sales experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility OR Bachelor's degree in Agricultural Business, Viticulture, Plant Science, or Business Administration plus 8 years of agriculture business or grower relations experience reflecting increasing levels of responsibility.
• Skilled in reading, analyzing, and interpreting common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
• Experience to responding to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
• Experience presenting information to top management, public groups, or boards of directors.
• Skilled in the use of MS Excel and MS PowerPoint at a basic level; MS Word, MS Outlook and Grower System at an intermediate level.
• Skilled in applying mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis.
• Experience applying principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
• Experience dealing with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, musical notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases.
• Experience dealing with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
• Experience performing assignments that are broad in nature, usually requiring evaluation, originality, or ingenuity with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decision.
• Possesses and applies comprehensive knowledge of this particular field of specialization to the completion of complex assignments.
• Experience dealing with confidential materials and situations.
• Skilled in record keeping, data gathering and, making day to day observations.
• Experience working on an individual basis, as well as being a team player.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk and talk or hea