Wine Business Blog Wine Business Follow us on Twitter Wine Business Blog RSS Subscribe to Wine Business Blog by Email Wine Industry Blogs Wine Industry Classifieds Wine Industry Events Wine News Archives Wine People News Vineyard Weather Wine Jobs
July 24, 2014 | 1:00 PM

Across the newsdesk this week from the Napa Valley Grapegrowers is an announcement about a significant number of regulatory changes have recently been made that affect Napa Valley Grapegrowers, Farm Labor Contractors (FLC) and Vineyard Management companies. The two most notable changes concern Piece-Rate wages and new signage requirements for Vineyard Management/FLC companies.


Changes have been made to the requirements for documenting and compensating your workers during breaks/non-productive times. Growers and vineyard managers need to ensure that itemized wage statements now contain a line item for non-productive work time and break periods, and the rate at which each is being paid is in compliance with Labor Code section 226.

Click here to for more details about Piece-Rate changes (Western Growers)


Vineyard Management companies and Farm Labor Contractors are now required to post signage at the entrance to each vineyard site where they have crews working or risk losing their FLC license. These new state licensing requirements supersede Napa County sign ordinances, and need to obtain the following information:

Top Portion of Signage:
Name of Licensee
FLC License Number

Bottom Portion of Signage:
Licensee’s Field Supervisor Name
Licensee’s Field Supervisor Working Phone Number
Signage should be at least 4 feet by 4 feet
Signage not obstructed by vehicles, other signs, trees, etc.
Use contracting colors for background and lettering
Sign can be staked to ground or fixed to fold-out frame (A Frame)
Bottom of sign at least 12 inches from ground
Placement of Signage
Placed initially within 30 feet
Clearly visible from access roads near site
Located where workers enter worksite during workday

Review a summary of all regulatory changes to FLC Licensing Requirements – IN ENGLISH  or IN SPANISH. For more information or questions, please contact the NVG office at (707) 944-8311 or AgSafe at (209) 526-4400

Got a tip? Tell us
Search WB Blog
Recent Posts
A listing of all the blogs monitored by our editors on a daily basis.
Email your comments to