Harvest Cellar Hand (10 Week Contract)
Monte Creek Winery is seeking qualified applicants for a full-time, temporary contract role as Harvest Cellar Hand. Monte Creek is a 400 ton winery located in the South Thompson valley, 20 minutes east of Kamloops, British Columbia. Monte Creek has 75 acres planted in South Thompson, with an additional 30 acres in the Similkameen valley. 2021 will be the inaugural vintage for our new 15,000 square foot gravity flow facility that will be dedicated to the production of premium red and sparkling wines while our original winery will be dedicated to premium white wine production.
This is an exciting opportunity to be a part of a rapidly growing winery and work with a dynamic and passionate team. This position reports to the Winemaker and Assistant Winemaker, and will provide opportunity to expand winemaking skills and experience.
Duties of this position will include but not be limited to:
• Performing cellar activities such as racking, blending, filtration, barrel work, and bottling.
• Take part in all harvest activities, including but not limited to;
-Fruit receipt, weighing, sorting, de-stemming
-Fermentation, Inoculations, and additions
-Punch downs and cap management
-Cleaning, sanitizing, power washing of equipment, and facilities
• Assist in bottling and packaging operations.
• Maintain the cellar to the highest degree of cleanliness and sanitation at all times.
• Work in the vineyard including, vineyards sampling, fruit thinning and other tasks that may arise.
Requirements and Qualifications:
• Minimum class 5 driver’s license and/or transportation to and from work.
• Ability to work extended hours and weekends.
• Able to lift 50 pounds, work in inclement weather, at heights, within confined spaces, and work on their feet for long periods of time in physically demanding conditions.
• Able to follow Standard Operating and Safe Work Procedures, and Work Orders.
• Able to maintain a positive attitude.
• Preference to candidates with forklift proficiency.
• Working proficiency in English.
• Strong preference to candidates with previous harvest experience.
• Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or otherwise legally able to work in Canada with the appropriate work visa. Applicants without this status will not be considered as an
LMIA will not be undertaken.
• The Government of Canada as of January 7th 2021 requires all air travelers to present a negative COVID-19 test prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada.
• Everyone entering Canada must follow the mandatory isolation or quarantine requirements as stated by Canadian Immigration Services.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience and education. This is a 10 week contract with the possibility of extension. On-site housing shared rental unit may be available depending on the situation and terms of agreement. Potential start of contract in August 2021.