The primary responsibility of the Vineyard Manager is day to day management of vineyard operations to ensure soil and vine health and production of the highest quality grapes for organic and biodynamic winemaking, and including maintaining all farm equipment and wind machines. This individual will work closely with the winemaker and field team to accomplish company goals. Planning, budgeting and organic/BD certification administration is included in this role.
The Vineyard Manager will maintain competence in key vineyard operation and management functions including:
• Managing vineyard labour crew
• Implementing safety program
• Operation and maintenance of tractors and other farm equipment, including wind machines
• Development and adherence to organic and BD spray schedule
• Vineyard renovation and replanting as needed
• Frost protection, and other weather related management
• Planting, pruning, and training of grapevines
• Training of crew
• Accurate and regular record keeping
• Spanish language skills are an asset
• Managing viticultural shed and equipment storage in an orderly way
• Other tasks as directed
• Previous management roll and hands-on vineyard experience and formal viticulture education.
• Competency in safe operation and principles of repair of vineyard equipment
• Experience and on-going education in organic/biodynamic farming
• Possess successful problem-solving abilities
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, holidays, and periodic overtime (especially during harvest season; Sept-Dec)
• Ability to perform physically demanding tasks outdoors in changing weather conditions
• Flexible thinking – ability to manage changing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude
• BSc. Or Diploma in Enology, Viticulture or related field.
• 2+ years in vineyard-wine production
• Communicate effectively in English and Spanish while working safely with co-workers
• Spray certification
• Comfortably use Microsoft Excel, Word and other programs
• Be very detail oriented and complete tasks in a safe and efficient manner.
• On-going organic and/or BD training/development is needed to keep current in this position
• Canadian citizenship/residency or a valid Canadian work permit preferred.