POSITION: HARVEST ASSISTANT
CONTRACT DATE: Harvest 2019 – Start Aug 1st
Poplar Grove Winery is looking to hire a practical, hands-on person for cellar work. This is a contract position with the possibility of longer-term employment for the right candidate.
• Undertake processing and cellar operations such as topping, racking, transferring, filtration, tank and barrel cleaning.
• Perform basic laboratory analyses for fruit and juice.
• Receive and process incoming grapes.
• Keep areas and equipment sanitary.
Education and Work Experience
The candidate must be strongly interested in wine and wine quality; post-secondary education is beneficial. Previous winery work or vintage experience is advantageous but not mandatory.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Good practical abilities and sense of working efficiently with minimal supervision; understands that the most important tasks take priority
• Forklift license – can train the right candidate
• Ability to lift and/or carry up to 25kg
• Shows understanding of winemaking principles and has a good understanding of relevant chemistry and technology
• Strongly focused on wine quality and cleanliness
• A careful, diligent and thoughtful worker who works safely and assumes an attitude of ownership in the winery
• A team player who strives towards overall goals of premium winery production