We are a family-owned winery in the Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada who has a vision to be recognized as one of the leading family wineries in the world. We own estate vineyards in the best locations in the Southern Okanagan ideally suited to Bordeaux varieties and Syrah. Next door, the Similkameen is an emerging viticultural area, which we have identified for its exceptional potential for Riesling and Pinot Gris.
This is a unique opportunity to get in on the ground floor as the General Manager of one of the most exciting new wineries in the North America.
This is a remarkable opportunity to work with a committed, dedicated owner to build a leading family winery in Canada. This person should have an entrepreneurial spirit and experience managing, working with and building a results driven team in a collaborative environment.
The General Manager position reports directly to the Chairman (Owner).
The General Manager is responsible for implementation and monitoring of the initiatives across all products, outputs, and services produced/provided by the Estate. The General Manager is also responsible for integrating company policies into department operations, bridging external connections, and overseeing department operations in coordination with the Board and the senior management team. The General Manager is also responsible for the execution of strategies and ensuring that all plans carried out by the Estates team echoes with the Estates vision.
• Formulates long- and short-term strategies and operation direction that are suitable for the Canadian market and international market to ensure continuous generation of revenue
• Establishes appropriate goals and objectives, including development of the brand’s DNA, etc. in coordination with the Proprietor and consultants
• Responsible for materializing policies and directions into daily operations to ensure all decisions made and actions taken are aligning with the Estates strategies
• Reviews annual budgets of each department; anticipates expense reductions or increases
• Monitors marketing campaigns, sales growth, and customer/VIP feedback
• Presides over quality control of wines, services and experiences from vineyard to consumer. The General Manager is held accountable for maintaining a high level of quality in all aspects.
• Conducts performance reviews for all employees reporting to this position.
• Directs staff in aspects of organizational structure, professional development, motivation, discipline, compensation, personnel policies, and procedures.
• Regular monthly reporting to Chairman (Owner). These are full operational reports including Vineyard, Winemaking, Marketing, Sales, Financial etc.
• Advises Chairman of any appropriate business investments or opportunities.
• Communicates continuously with the Chairman the state of the business, the challenges and successes of daily operations.
• Serves as face of the Estate.
• Maintains healthy relationship with media to build up brand names; or to ease crisis management procedures
• Maintains healthy relationship with government officials that are in the best interest of the Estate.
• Oversees internal PR operations.
Oversee all sales channels and hospitality
• Responsible for collaborating with managers to assure operations are managed effectively and efficiently while meeting sales objectives and enhancing brand image.
• Responsible for assuring sales focus is on on-premise sales in the main Canadian markets as well as a small amount of strategic export around the world.
• Responsible for collaborating with WC/DTC Coordinator, Owner, and production team to determine special WC wines, quantities, and club shipment dates.
• Face of winery for all WC events.
• Responsible for guiding the Hospitality Manager and for assuring sales focus is on small production, Okanagan Valley wines and achieving case sales goals.
Oversee Marketing and Public Relation Manager
• Direct efforts to targeted audiences who enhance the winery brand and provide inroads to new markets.
• Working relationship with all marketing vendors: designer, photographers, printer, etc.
Oversee Human Resources, Business Office
• Responsible for cultivating teamwork, trust, and mutual respect. Foster a positive, productive, and empowering work environment. Hire, train, coach, mentor, and discipline direct reports.
Collaborate with Winemaker, Viticulturist and Vineyard and Winemaking Team:
• Directly responsible for promoting and practicing cooperation between production and business divisions resulting in an inclusive, productive, and respectful environment.
• Assure all winery grounds are safe, welcoming, and reflective of the winery brand.
Collaborate with Owner:
• Directly responsible to establish strategic initiatives and lead team to assure positive results.
• Work together to assure brand assets are optimally managed to retain and elevate luxury brand status.
• Legitimate face of the winery providing authentic, knowledgeable, and passionate voice.
• Bachelor’s Degree. MBA preferred.
• 10 years or more experience in 3-tier winery sales and marketing.
• 5+ years in a senior management position of a winery with proven ability to be an effective, innovative, and enthusiastic leader.
• Passion for and in-depth knowledge of wine and wine production. BC Experience, WA State and WW Valley a plus.
• Significant exposure to and proven success in the areas of: employee management, sales management, expense management, inventory management, reporting, and forecasting.
• Significant experience in strategic planning.
• Strong management experience: problem-solving skills. • Strong character with reputation for integrity and respect