Vintage Cellar Hand – Oliver, BC, Canada.
Position Dates: August 2019 - December 2019
Salary: $17/hour with subsidized accommodation
CheckMate Winery seeks Vintage Cellarhands to assist with all aspects of the winemaking process in a modern artisanal winemaking facility.
(a) have or be undertaking a Bachelor’s Degree in Enology &/or Viticulture; or
(b) have at least 2 years of experience in production winemaking.
Experience with traditional, artisanal and modern winemaking techniques would be beneficial, as would knowledge of the applicable cellar procedures in a gravity fed winery.
Applicants must have experience performing the following tasks:
• Ferment management (temperature control, inoculation, cap management, monitoring nutrient status, punch downs and pump overs);
• Identifying and reducing potential microbial issues – grapes, must, and bulk wine
• Cellar experience - grape processing, fermentations, pressings, racking, transfers, blending, topping, wine aging, wine treatments, bottling, barrel maintenance and sanitation;
• Operating pneumatic presses, destemmers, punch down systems, pump over systems, barrel washers, ozone machines, pumps, heating & cooling systems, solenoids, control stats, draining and pressing by gravity, gravity wine movements;
• Fruit processing of Chardonnay and Bordeaux varietals;
• Valid driver’s license;
• Passion for making the highest quality artisanal wines – Chardonnay, Merlot and Pinot Noir;
• Forklift driving (fruit processing, loading/unloading flatbed trucks and barrel stacking).
The following experience would be beneficial (but not essential):
• Lab experience;
• Data-input and winemaker database experience;
• Vineyard sampling experience.
To apply, please send your resume directly to email@example.com. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.