The Rust Wine Company is a new vinous project born of the dirt and inspired by rejuvenation. Our wines are sourced from four exceptional vineyards planted as far back as 1973. Our sites, located in the appellations of Okanagan Valley, Similkameen Valley, and the Golden Mile Bench include some of the oldest vines in BC. The potential of our vineyard’s quality is a winemaker’s dream. We place a great emphasis on showcasing these distinct terroirs with small lot, single vineyard wines of purpose.
Our parent Company encompasses two wineries; Rust Wine Co & Mt. Boucherie Estate Winery. Jeff Hundertmark is driving force behind winemaking for these two wineries as Company Head Winemaker. As an award-winning Winemaker and Sommelier, Jeff Hundertmark will be an exceptional mentor for someone searching for the next step in their career.
This is a unique opportunity to become an integral component of Rust Wine Co. as it grows into something truly exceptional. The successful candidate will be able to think on their feet, solving unique problems. We are fortunate to have several experienced Sommeliers & trained Winemakers within the two sister wineries, therefore a willingness to work as team, have an open mind, & a drive to further develop your skill set is essential.
- Working closely with our Company Head Winemaker on the wines for this 2000 case winery located in Oliver, BC
- Executing day to day operations of the cellar at the winery in Oliver as well as the home wine production facility in West Kelowna
- Working with the Vineyard Manager and Head Winemaker selecting blocks of grapes from our 300 acres located throughout the Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys
- Assisting the sales team adding support for wine tastings, events, and winemaker dinners
- Keeping workspace tidy and organized to ensure a safe work environment
- Assisting Head Winemaker by organizing the cellar and bottling team to ensure an efficient and healthy bottling of our wines
- Ability to work in some adverse weather outside (cold/raining/snowing/hot)
- Ability to lift 25 kg
- Position requires some weekend work
- Must be a team player
- Communication in English (written and verbal) a necessity
- Strong supervisory skills and ability to work alone. This is an extremely hands on winemaking position
- Record keeping, inventory recording, ordering supplies, providing reports and submissions to BCVQA
Education, Qualifications and special skills
- Post-secondary diploma in winery operations at College or University
- Preference given to Sommelier certification or WSET 2 level knowledge
- Forklift Safety Certification
- Lab experience essential
- Clean, orderly work ethic
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as an Assistant Winemaker or Winemaker for small lot premium winery
- Exceptional problem-solving skills
- Experience with and a strong knowledge of viticulture
If you feel this position and this company is for you, please submit your resume and a short letter of introduction to: email@example.com by March 15, 2019.