• The Assistant Winemaker will report to the Winemaker on all aspects of wine production, with a focus on hands-on, task-driven work.
• Schedule and monitor daily cellar operations, including harvest, bulk wine, barrels, bottling preparation, sanitation, and cellar organization and cleanliness.
• Help with Lab analysis when needed
• Keep accurate records of all tasks and bulk wine inventory on cellar tracking software
• Maintain inventory of dry goods and cellar additives as well as reordering and coordinating with suppliers
• Assist winemaker in preparation of blends, fining trials, and VQA submissions
• Participate in wine tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking process.
• Assist in operation, maintenance and supervision of the bottling line, including any personnel assigned to those operations
• Supervise and train cellar staff in job duties and H&S.
• Contribute to the continuous improvement of the winemaking process and procedures.
Desired Skills & Experience
- University Degree or College Diploma in Oenology or related field
- Strong organizational, problem solving skills, attention to detail
- Lift and carry up to 55 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions.
- Ability to work long hours and weekends during harvest
- Must possess excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, fluent in English, both verbal and written
- 5 years of experience in a premium winemaking/production capacity
Hours: 40 – 55/week
Opportunities for growth and advancement.