December 5 Day of Action Planned to Urge Congressional Passage of Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act Before Year-End Deadline
December 04, 2019
Washington—Leaders in the beverage alcohol sector are urging industry advocates across the nation to participate in a national Day of Action on December 5 by contacting their members of Congress to urge passage of the Craft Beverage Modernization and Tax Reform Act, S.362/H.R. 1175 (CBMTRA).
“With less than four weeks remaining before the current tax rates expire, the entire industry is mobilizing to signal to Congress that they must act now,” said the CBMTRA Coalition. “Craft distillers, brewers, winemakers, cider makers and importers of all beverage alcohol have used the tax savings over the last two years to reinvest in their businesses, their employees and their communities. A drastic tax hike at the stroke of midnight on Dec. 31 will be a devastating start to the new year for these small businesses.”
Day of Action participants are encouraged to call, tweet and email their members of Congress to pass this bipartisan legislation. Click here for additional information.
The daylong campaign is sponsored by the CBMTRA coalition, a group of beverage alcohol trade associations including the Beer Institute, Brewers Association, Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, American Craft Spirits Association, Wine Institute, WineAmerica, the United States Association of Cider Makers and American Mead Makers Association.
The coalition added, “Whether you are one of the millions of professionals in the beverage alcohol industry, a supply chain partner or a loyal consumer, we need your help to ensure Congress understands the critical nature of passing this legislation by the end of the year. Please join us on the CBMTRA Day of Action on December 5 by calling on your representatives to act now.”
Introduced by Senators Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and by Representatives Ron Kind (D-Wis.) and Mike Kelly (R-Pa.), the legislation will make permanent reforms enacted in 2017 that create a fair and equitable tax structure for brewers, winemakers, distillers, cider makers and importers of all beverage alcohol. The bill currently has 324 cosponsors in the House and 74 in the Senate.
- American Craft Spirits Association: Alexandra Clough, email@example.com, 516-428-7210
- American Mead Makers Association: Vicky Rowe, Vicky@mead-makers.org, 919-414-9911
- Beer Institute: Dan Roth, firstname.lastname@example.org, 202-737-2337
- Brewers Association: Maggie McClain, MMcClain@bannerpublicaffairs.com, 503-593-1716
- Distilled Spirits Council: Lisa Hawkins, lhawkins@DistilledSpirits.org, 202-682-8840
- U.S. Association of Cider Makers: Michelle McGrath, email@example.com, 616-259-8828
- Wine Institute: Gladys Horiuchi, firstname.lastname@example.org 415-512-0151
- WineAmerica: Michael Kaiser, email@example.com, 202-223-5172