Bedrock Wine Co. is looking for one viticulture intern to assist us during the 2023 growing season.
This position is expected to start the 1st week of April and extend through the bulk of harvest (normally mid October).
This position is a vital part of our viticulture program and you will be closely involved with all aspects of our yearly viticulture work as well as the full time Bedrock team. It offers experience in both the intellectual and hands-on sides of viticulture.
BEDROCK WINE COMPANY
First and foremost, the Bedrock Wine Co. is a mission-driven operation dedicated to preserving and rehabilitating old vine vineyards around California.
These old field blends are typically Zinfandel-based, but are interplanted dozens of other varieties including Mataro (Mourvedre), Carignan, Petite Sirah, Alicante Bouschet, Grenache and many more.
Along with ancient vine field blends, you will be working with many other varieties including Syrah, Bordeaux varieties, Portuguese varieties and whites such as Sauv blanc, Riesling, Chardonnay, Semillon, and Gewurztraminer.
We work with well-known sites throughout northern California and control farming at our own vineyards in Sonoma County, Napa Valley, Contra Costa County and Lodi. We also work with fruit from Mendocino, Amador, Monterrey, San Benito all the way down to Santa Barbara County.
Fundamental to our work of reviving and sustaining old vineyards is the philosophy of sustainability and Integrated Pest Management with an emphasis on the “integrated” part. We are undergoing organic certification at our 100 acre home ranch in Sonoma Valley, but put a great deal of thought into the farming of all of our ranches.
We aim to establish holistic agroecosystems by encouraging a diversity of plants within the field and creating a suitable environment for a stable and healthy microbiome in the soil. We do this by employing practices such as non-till, biochar, permanent cover cropping, hedgerows, dry farming and controlling weeds without the use of herbicide. We cater our farming to each individual vineyard, so our practices can vary quite a bit based off of soil, climate, age, and economics. We pride ourselves in revitalizing ancient vineyards so that they can reach economic sustainability, thereby ensuring that they stay in the ground.
- Previous viticulture is not strictly necessary, but it is helpful if you are familiar with being in a vineyard.
- This job requires the ability and desire to work outdoors in the early morning and in hot conditions
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel
- California Driver's License (Required): comfortable driving from ranch to ranch to do independent scouting
- The ability to drive an ATV/RTV is a plus, but not a requirement
- US work authorization
- The ability to lift and walk a short distance a 50 lb object
- Excited and curious to learn the ampelographical differences between Zinfandel, Carignan, Petite sirah, Alicante bouschet, Grenache and Mourvedre. This is an invaluable skill to make it through a work day at Bedrock.
- Beyond all that, we expect you to be intellectually curious and respectful of others
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Vineyard pest and disease scouting: Identifying, flagging and mapping
- Assistance with implementation of IPM program: Releasing and monitoring beneficial insects for pest control, deploying mating disruption for vine mealybug
- Plant tissue and soil sampling for nutrient analysis
- Monitoring of plant phenology
- Variety mapping in historic field blend vineyards
- Water status tracking
- Yield estimations: Data collection, entering, distillation, manipulating
- General cultural practices such as fruit thinning, leafing etc.
- Harvest support: Sampling, flagging, mapping, scouting, assisting harvest crew
-Data management using AgCode
If you are interested, please send us your CV and cover letter.