Margerum Wine Company in Santa Barbara County is actively looking for someone to join our team as Winemaker overseeing all winemaking operations and responsibilities. Started by Doug Margerum in 2001, Margerum Wine Company works with all the various terroirs in Santa Barbara County with a particular emphasis on red and white Rhône-style wines from our Estate Vineyard in the Los Olivos District. Additionally, there is a Grenache based Rosé, a Loire-Valley inspired Sauvignon Blanc from the Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara AVA and for Barden, our Sta. Rita Hills label, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and cold-climate Syrah.
The Winemaking position at Margerum Wine Company is responsible for managing and overseeing the entire wine production. This position ensures that the highest standards of quality are met for wine and viticulture, and that the winery’s ownership strategic goals for production, wine regimens and operations are executed as flawlessly as possible. Because of the critical nature of this role, the Winemaker interacts professionally with their team, other internal departments and staff, outside vendors and includes taking direction from the General Manager.
Successful candidates for the Head Winemaking position will have a strong work ethic and organizational prowess, a multi-tasker, problem solver and creative thinker, while also having a deep knowledge and passion for the world of wine and shares our company’s values of authenticity, reliability, integrity, quality, customer service and hospitality. This position provides a critical link within our organization working closely with Ownership and the General Manager and will help continue our success in securing our brand as the most trusted choice in Santa Barbara County wine.
• Takes the lead from ownership in producing, making and executing all the winemaking at Margerum Wine Company including the wines for Margerum and Barden, all Private Clients wines and all Private Label Wines
• Manages and trains the Winemaking Team ensuring that everyone is working productively, efficiently, safely and environmentally sensitively, and helps foster with Ownership and the General Manager, a positive working environment and team dynamic so that people are professionally and personally fulfilled
• Ensures that all winery facilities and winemaking equipment are kept in proper working order and that Ownership and the General Manager are always made aware of future needs and potential pending problems
• Works closely with the General Manager on meeting production goals, harvest planning and fruit acquisition, viticulture performance, testing and quality control with our Estate Vineyard and contracted fruit, strategic planning, barrel requisition and winery equipment needs
• Works with Ownership on all winemaking quality including blending, bench trials, tastings, barrel aging, styles, protocols, wine regimens and quality control
• Leads during harvest the assessment of fruit, scheduling of all fruit picks, fermentation of all fruit and the tracking of each lot pick by pick
• Oversees and properly records, using our various software systems and following our operational procedures, all winery production activities including the compliance for Federal, State, County and TTB compliance and regulations
• Handles all scheduling and prioritizing for the Winemaking Team and works with the General Manager on hiring, firing and management of labor costs and overtime
• Communicates proactively and positively with the Winemaking Team, Ownership and the Organization about all winemaking updates
• Helps with Wine Media, Direct to Consumer Clients, Wholesale Distribution, Staff Education and Public Relations when necessary
This is a comprehensive position, with many working facets, that requires very specific skills. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Interested candidates should please send via email a Cover Letter and Resume.