Jordan Winery, an iconic producer of French-inspired wines in Sonoma County, is seeking a dynamic Executive Chef. Our Estate Executive Chef is the leader of the culinary department and represents the winery on both on-site and at off-site events. An essential component of this role is communicating, mentoring, overseeing and assisting in the development and execution of all food programming and experiences. At Jordan, we offer a welcoming workplace, a culture of excellence where quality performance is rewarded and a commitment to use proceeds from wine sales to help those less fortunate. If you share our values, we would like you to apply to join the family.
The position is based in Healdsburg, reporting directly to the Hospitality-Estate Services Associate Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Prepares meals and/or other food related to events at winery and off-premise entertainment facilities
• Researches and develops appropriate menus and supply selections; creates unique menus that complement the wines
• Organizes and coordinates all activities related to food preparation and presentation
• Orders and purchases all food and kitchen supplies for upcoming events or meals; verifies that delivered supplies are within acceptable quality standards
• Prepares food for wine and food pairings for guest tastings and events held at the winery and occasionally off-site
• Meets with public relations and/or sales and marketing departments to discuss upcoming events related to meal preparation
• Prepares lunches during harvest season for winery staff
• Participates in outside events to build guest relations and represent winery
• Speaks with guests/presents menu to guests at private meals and culinary events
• Serves as a spokesperson with media; conduct media interviews
• Appears in videos on social media, as needed
• Participates in special events to promote Jordan wines
• Researches different dishes, plates, food presentation, and other relevant information to learn current trends
• Ensures that kitchen tools and food supply are properly maintained and at an adequate level
• Educates kitchen staff on proper procedures in meal preparation; also provides them with information on food and wine pairings, and other related functions and/or topics
• Ensures adherence to annual budgetary limits set for kitchen expenditures
• Adheres to safety regulations and policies; reports any potential safety issues to supervisor or the Safety Coordinator
• Oversees the culinary team and temporary kitchen employees.
• Carries out management responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
• Responsibilities include training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work.
• Responsible for appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Responsible for food safety training and compliance/ health code standards and regulations (internal and external inspections).
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Education and/or Experience
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance of the job would qualify. A college or university program certificate; or three or more years of related experience and/or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred. Graduation from an accredited Culinary Institute is highly desirable.
Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
• Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
• Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to taste or smell. The employee frequently is required to stand and use hands to handle or feel. The employee is occasionally required to walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.