JUSTIN is an award-wining winery and fine dining establishment in Paso Robles. Recognized by the Michelin Guide as one of the premier dining rooms on the Central Coast. Our restaurant offers dinner service up to 5 nights a week.
The Restaurant Sommelier & Assistant Manager is primarily responsible for leading wine service teams during all Dinners and private functions as well as managing the Wine Spectator award winning wine cellar which includes a variety of world class labels both international and domestic in addition to the JUSTIN Vineyards and Winery. The ideal candidate is someone with a strong sense of urgency, attention to detail, sales mentality and luxury hospitality experience, who is looking to join a team that is constantly elevating our guest experience and working diligently to achieve prestigious accolades from publications such as Michelin and Forbes. The position includes a set schedule with ample time for cellar maintenance, administrative tasks (only 3 dinner services a week), and a competitive salary with full benefits.
A Day In The Life at JUSTIN:
- Leads restaurant wine service team, including nightly tasting menu pairing.
- Educates service team on wine pairing selections
- Engages guests in a warm, relaxed and refined manner
- Facilitates a culture of lateral service
- Supports all aspects of the dining room service in accordance with Forbes 5-star standards
- Resolves any Guest issues promptly, upholding over 99.5% Customer Satisfaction
- Assists restaurant manager with hiring, training and supporting all dining room staff
- Is an on-site presence at every stage of Dinner or Event service (Welcome, Wine service, Food Service, Surprise and Delight, Departure)
- Supports all counts, including tracking breakage for all service items (glasses, plates, flatware)
- Sends nightly, weekly & monthly reports as required
- Support all on-property offerings, but with a focus on dinner, and private events.
- Assists with maintenance of the POS system and accurate data reporting into the file of record
- Updates wine list and cellar guide/inventory regularly
- Acts as the Restaurant Manager in the absence of a more senior manager
- Ability to take a server section in the restaurant in the event of a call-out or vacation
- Participates on our Sommelier committee and assists with Virtual Tastings and offsite wine dinners, if needed
Your Contribution to JUSTIN:
- Strong organizational skills, customer service, restaurant, and event planning/execution experience required
- Sommelier Level I, or equivalent work experience.
- Food Handlers Card
- Demonstrated strong ability to work well under pressure.
- Ability to establish direction, obtain commitment and execute.
- 2+ years' experience in fine dining establishments. Management experience preferred
- Strong sense of urgency in matters related to revenue and building the business
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English, secondary language skills are a plus
- Must be able to perform technical calculations, assemble data in spreadsheets and charts/graphs, and maintain budgets
- COVID vaccination will be required for this position unless candidate has a legally valid exemption
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
JUSTIN's Dedication to you:
- Competitive benefits package including Medical (including 24/7 online access to a physician), Vision, Dental and 401k with match eligibility
- Opportunities for development and internal mobility
- Manager and leadership training, biweekly L&OD webinars, and eLearning offerings
- Companywide problem solving and continuous improvement training
- Wonderful Giving (com) - allowing you to donate company money to a cause of your choice
- Company focus on wellness and health including virtual yoga and mindful meditation classes
The Wonderful Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and with opportunities for advancement. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, or other protected categories.