Darcie Kent Estate Winery - Livermore, California Area
The position will be responsible for the quality, organization, and execution of winemaking activities for our 12,000-case estate winery in Livermore. The position requires a mixture of hands-on and managerial/supervisory skills, laboratory skills, attention to detail, cleanliness, and is a physically active role. This position reports directly to the Winemaker who is responsible for optimizing wine quality and ordering supplies as well as vineyard, equipment, and facilities management. Most other duties belong to the Assistant Winemaker.
- Assist the Winemaker in supervising all day to day cellar operations, including harvest, bulk wine, cap management, barrel work, bottling preparation, mobile and own-line bottling, sanitation, and cellar organization.
- Provide winemaking technical support to the Winemaker and cellar crew.
- Supervise grape receiving, destemming, sorting, pressing and fermentation operations during harvest.
- Participate in wine tasting at all stages throughout the winemaking process and be responsible for conducting evaluation and recommendation of treatments.
- Write work orders for all production related tasks from harvest to bottling.
- Complete and submit Product Description (PD) worksheets within 24 hours of bottling.
- Responsible for supervising, training, and mentoring all cellar employees during harvest, providing ongoing instruction and support as assigned.
- Responsible for understanding and adhering to all state and federal regulations.
- Assist in educational tastings and tours of the facility, when needed.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the winemaking process and procedures.
- Prepare work-orders, assist in data management, as well as maintaining the “Barrel Bible,” packaging component inventories, and monthly bottled wine counts at Vasco and the East Barn.
- Ensure that cellar works are operating safety at all times and don’t use cellular devices, except on breaks.
- Responsible for DAILY cleanliness of crush pad, barrel room, bottling room and laboratory.
- Be available for weekend and evening winery events that require interaction with customers and/or club members.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Degree in Enology, Chemistry or related field, preferably with strong lab skills.
- Excellent sensory (smell and taste) skills
- Excellent truck driving and load securing skills
- Excellent forklift driving skills with significant experience/comfort level with high barrel stacks
- Experience with both the practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process and understand winemaking regulatory requirements.
- Minimum 5 year experience in all aspects of harvest, fermentation, cellar work, and winemaking analysis is preferred.
- Must possess excellent written, oral communication and presentation skills, fluent in English, both verbal and written; spoken Spanish helpful.
- Experience in a premium winemaking environment, and a commitment to growing quality.
- Strong organizational, teambuilding, problem solving skills, attention to detail, with ability to prioritize multiple tasks.
- Lift and carry up to 50 pounds; work on and around ladders, catwalks, uneven flooring, in hot, cold and wet environments; with typical winery chemical exposure and conditions.
- Available to work a varied schedule during harvest season as needed.
- Excellent math skills and accuracy with numbers and strong recordkeeping skills along with a working knowledge of data collection and data analysis.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as the ability to learn other related computer programs & databases.
- Fully vaccinated for Covid-19
This is a full-time position. Compensation is based on experience. Benefits include Medical, Vision, and Dental insurance, 401k, and PTO.
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you would make a great addition to our team.