This position conducts day-to-day winery production operations with an emphasis on wine quality, accurate cellar techniques and procedures, work planning, safety, data management, facility and equipment maintenance, and a meticulous attention to sanitation and cleanliness. Candidate must possess outstanding written and verbal communication skills, be highly team oriented, have a “can-do” attitude and be comfortable with changing demands and continuous improvement.
Core responsibilities include but will not be limited to:
• Executing and overseeing winemaking, cellar, sanitation and laboratory procedures. This includes barrel work, tank cleaning and racking, topping, and occasionally hand bottling and labeling.
• Maintain a deep awareness of the state of all wines in the winery and be capable of making suggestions / taking actions to insure the wines are cared for properly
• Assist in setting up, participating in and discussing tastings to assess quality, develop blends, and identify possible improvements, special lots and potential new products.
• Assist in overseeing all harvest, bottling, and cellar activities and insure work is completed at a high level of quality and in a timely, organized, clean and efficient manner. This includes forklift operation, hand sorting, set up, operation and clean up of crush equipment, punch downs, pumpovers and shoveling out tanks.
• Makes recommendations and collaborates with the winemaking team in planning and scheduling of all Cellar activities for optimum efficiency and quality.
• Ensures that Cellar operations meet winery sanitation standards and all equipment is fully functional.
• Ensures that adequate supplies, materials and equipment are on hand to support department functions and for adherence to supply/budget targets.
• Keeps winemaking staff informed of potential production concerns regarding available resources, equipment repairs and bottlenecks.
• Responsible for complying with the Company’s hazardous material and safety procedures.
• Trains and develops harvest staff in winery operations
• Special projects and other responsibilities as assigned, including assisting with grounds maintenance and pest control programs, pristine cleanliness of the property including the tasting room building and warehouse, assisting with or handling various repairs as needed/capable.
• Case goods warehouse management, including organization, record keeping, inventory management, and assistance with assembling purchase orders for shipping.
• At least 3 years of wine production operations at a mid-to-large size winery.
• Ability to make educated, timely and sound winemaking observations that are well communicated to the winemaker.
• Detail oriented, takes initiative and is highly aware of cleanliness and organization.
• Ability to multitask and manage changing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude.
• Valid driver’s license and clean DMV record
• Excellent skills and ability to drive a forklift, trucks, trailers, and other company vehicles as necessary.
• Willingness to work long hours, including weekends, assist with other projects and represent the winery in the market and at tours and events as required.
• Ability to lift and carry 60 lbs, climb ladders and stand for long periods of time in an outdoor work environment.
• Excellent handyperson skills and the knowledge to use various power tools, pressure washer, air compressor, nail gun, etc.
Commensurate with qualifications, abilities and experience.
401K and health care benefits available