Manages routine lab activities and personnel in the analysis and evaluation of wines through chemical, physical, and microbiological tests to achieve optimal quality and stability of wines throughout aging and through to the finished bottled product. Works collaboratively with winemaking and cellar teams to ensure successful flow of production activities.
* The Quality Lab Manager must exhibit strong managerial and leadership skills. Also, the ability to interact with the employees while continuing to build a cohesive team and develop individual potential within the team members.
* Develops laboratory proficiency to ensure rigorous compliance with the highest standards of precision and accuracy for approved methodologies.
* Manages lab training program including in-house and off-site course work as necessary.
* Responsible for the input and accuracy of analytical data, ensuring that all wine lots have current and complete analysis. Input of analytical data needs to be performed on a timely basis and relevant to the needs of the winemaker(s)
* Assist with monthly and annual monitoring of laboratory budget, including managing the purchase of lab operating supplies and analytical equipment within approved capital budgets.
* Key driver of all Safety policies and procedures for the department. This includes overseeing safety audits, incident investigations, implementation of Company-wide safety policies and relevant safety training. Must lead by example.
* Oversees writing, updating, and maintaining electronic laboratory procedures.
* Ensures laboratory equipment is maintained through regularly scheduled PM.
* Knowledge of a winery systems designed for early identification of problem/concern lots, collection of analytical/micro. information prior to wine finishing, and routine analysis of bottled wines.
* Assist winemaking with wine tracking and monitoring.
* Ensures compliance with all safety, personnel procedures, policies and is responsible for keeping all SOP's current.
* Coordinates the maintenance of lab Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and electronic chemical inventory system.
* Must be able to troubleshoot analytical instrumentation/methodology to resolve analytical discrepancies and achieve accurate data.
* Improve and develop new laboratory methodologies based on organizational need.
* Serves as point person for inter-laboratory corroborative testing programs. Recommends and assists winemaking and other departments with experimental and research programs to enhance winemaking and other organizational initiatives.
* Provides technical information, as necessary, to resolve winemaking and other product quality issues.
* Generates ideas in research and development, experimental design, quality control activities and winemaking goals.
* Assist with continuous improvement opportunities for all laboratories within the organization.
* Must embrace and demonstrate The Wine Group's Vision, Mission, and Values of Long-Term Sustainable Value Creation, while being Relentlessly Entrepreneurial, with Empowered People who are Responsible and Trustworthy and keep them in mind when making all decisions.
* This job description reflects management's assignment of general functions; it does not restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
* Bachelor's degree in a scientific discipline is required, preferably with emphasis in Enology/Food Science or Chemistry
* Minimum 5 years in beverage, alcohol, or wine industries, preferably in the winemaking industry.
* Minimum 3 years of supervisor and/or management experience managing a quality laboratory.
* Budget experience is a plus
* Well-developed organizational and communication skills
* Ability to work harmoniously with co-workers in a team environment, and perform duties and responsibilities in a manner consistent with the company's value of exhibiting the highest quality standards in all endeavors
* Knowledge of Microsoft Office and other computer software technology.
* Willing to possibly work a flexible schedule to support the needs of the organization.
* Comprehensive understanding of the winemaking process and related analytics at each stage of making wine
* Familiarity with various grape varieties and lean manufacturing principles preferred.
* Able to lift and carry up to 50 pounds at varying frequencies
* Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in a lab or production environment.
* Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to related equipment and noise levels
At The Wine Group, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to an environment of mutual respect, diversity, and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristic protected by law.