Walt Lead Wine Educator
Within the HALL Family Wines, the WALT brand signifies vineyard designate pinot noir and chardonnay sourced from premiere vineyards across the Pacific Coast. WALT has 4 estate vineyards (Anderson Valley, Sonoma Coast and Sta. Rita Hills) and partners with world-class growers. The wines produced have received acclaim for their quality and consistency.
Success in this position requires a genuine curiosity to learn about wine and the ability to lead others in the business of wine. The primary role of the Lead Wine Educator is to support the WALT Tasting Room Manager, and the initiatives of the business. This position reports to the WALT Hospitality and Tasting Room Manager.
• The Lead Wine Educator ‘leads’ the efforts of the tasting room by supervising staff when the Tasting Room Manager is not physically at the particular tasting where they are present. The Lead will supervise and guide the ongoing operations of the tasting room by executing the sales, membership acquisition, profitability and hospitality strategies set forth by the Manager.
• Participate in daily tasting room operations - Create a memorable experience for guests, greet all visitors and pour wines for tasting; sell wine and wine club memberships to meet the tasting room’s goals.
• Assist in the creation, implementation and maintaining of strategies to meet and exceed goals set by the company.
• Maintain clear and open communication with Hospitality Manager and the larger company by responding to emails and phone calls in a timely manner.
• Become a leader in product knowledge among the tasting room teams. Attend product trainings and disseminate wine knowledge to our guests and team members. Be proficient in describing our wines and the wineries’ brand story and history. Assist in coaching the tasting room team with sales and wine club sign ups.
• Represent winery at outside functions as needed including prospect outreach, solicitation of new business, and field sales and inquiry calls.
• Participate in monthly inventory counts and daily cash management.
• Be flexible as to perform additional duties and priorities as directed by the business.
• Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills. General bookkeeping practices.
• Moderate level of wine knowledge and education, knowledge passion for pinot noir and chardonnay a plus.
• Commitment to excellence and high standards in hospitality, personal appearance and demeanor.
• Excellent verbal communication skills, presentation skills, people management and customer service skills.
• Ability to manage priorities and workflow. Must be capable of working independently while managing multiple tasks at once.
• 2+ years’ of tasting room experience. Some management experience is preferred.
• Computer skills – Intermediate proficiency in MS Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and navigating the Internet. Ability to learn and utilize different sales, POS, and CRM platforms to manage the business.
• Must agree to participate in random drug testing as required.
• Must be at least 21 years of age
• Requires continuous standing and carrying less than 50 lbs.; occasional climbing, stooping, twisting and fine manipulation; intermittent bending.
Hours & days required:
• Must be available to work a flexible schedule that includes weekends, holidays, and on occasion evenings.
Compensation & Benefits:
• Salary dependent on experience with potential for bonus
• Among others, benefits include Health Insurance (Medical, Dental and Vision), paid vacation, paid volunteer work, 401K, and discounts on wines.
About HALL Family Wines:
• HALL, WALT and BACA produce critically acclaimed Cabernet Sauvignons, Pinot Noirs and Zinfandels that stand among the best in the world. We are deeply committed to the production of exceptional wines that are reflections of the land from which the grapes are grown. We are proud leaders in sustainability, having built the first LEED Gold winery in California, in addition to our 11 certified sustainable (CCWA) Estate vineyards.
• At HALL Family Wines, we strive to do the right thing, to follow responsible business practices and to give back to our communities. We believe in the philosophy of leaving the world better than we found it, a philosophy we have been putting into action for 50 years, both in business and through our family Foundation, established in 1977.
• Hall Wines is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, religion, veteran or disability status.
If values and community responsibility are important factors for you in choosing a place to work, if you enjoy working in an environment that prizes creativity, and if you hold yourself to a high standard of excellence in your job performance, this position may be a good fit for you.
Local candidates only. We look forward to hearing from you.