Job Description: Assistant Tasting Room Manager
This is a sales and hospitality position influencing DTC and continued team success. We are a small tasting room in Calistoga, this position is a great opportunity to get in with a new growing winery that you can grow with. This position supports the Hospitality Director. Help to design and implement service guidelines, staff wine education programs, operational procedures, and policies to create memorable guest experiences. This position works closely with the guests with an approachable and engaging level of service that leads to increased sales and club conversion.
• Collaborate with management to monitor, and achieve Tasting Room goals and metrics by developing ways to drive sales, and club signups.
• Inventory management- track, order weekly wine restocks, restock, wine, and retail gift items.
• Works with manager, leading physical inventory process monthly.
• Help with staff hiring, orientation, training, development.
• Assist in the development and management of wine club and club events.
• Manage point of sale and cash operations.
• In managers absence, coordinates Tasting Rooms breaks, and lunches to ensure they are taken at the appropriate times.
• Responsible for opening and closing Tasting Room facilities.
• Oversee Tasting Room staff to ensure proper training on all procedures.
• Lead the training, instruction, and development of Tasting Room staff.
• Provide staff with an example of exceptional customer service and ensure all Tasting Room guests have a wonderful experience start to finish.
• Develop seasonal looks for Tasting Room.
• Assist in relationship building with concierges, B&B managers, transportation companies, event planners.
• Assists manager with proper staffing levels, scheduling of staff when needed, and maintaining good timekeeping procedures.
• Contribute to and maintain a positive team orientated guest welcoming work environment.
• Maintain a service first and consultative approach for selling wine and non-wine products and club memberships.
• Use a soft sell approach, and ensures all staff understand the art of a soft sell.
• Responsible for routine purchase transactions, including operating cash register.
• Create and develop individualized and custom tasting experiences for VIP's and trade when requested.
• With manager maintains adequate supplies of branded collateral, ordering supplies and reprints where needed.
• Monitor wine club sales, work on maximizing club membership value. Work on back of house data input and streamline best practices.
• Maintain accurate shipping and receiving logs for all wine and gift items.
• Organize weekly wine restock.
• Participate in yearly review process.
• Educate customers about wine the history of our brand, vineyard sources, guiding principles and farming practices.
• Greet all visitors, pour wines for tasting, describe wines, wine making techniques, winery history, and share stories of the winery to all guests.
• Keep Tasting Room clean to include dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, cleaning bathrooms, whatever it takes to keep it looking great.
• Promote the sale of wine and non-wine items.
• Contribute to and maintain a positive, team-oriented, and guest-welcoming work environment.
• Greet all visitors, pour wines for tasting; describe wines, wine making techniques, winery history and provide general tourist information.
• Educate customers about wine, the history of our brand, vineyard sources, guiding principles, farming practices, and Napa Valley and Calistoga.
• Supports all staff to ensure the best possible guest experience is being presented by the team.
• Act as a brand ambassador and assist at special functions, interactive tasting experiences and on and off-site events.
• Host tastings and events, lead educational discussions and develop sales and training collateral.
• Conduct tasting experiences, ensuring that they are memorable and professional, strive to exceed guests expectations.
• Convert guest into loyal brand ambassadors.
• Be a brand ambassador, representing family values, with professionalism and positivity to external and internal customers.
• Capture and maintain customer contact info for future marketing and sales opportunities.
• Update wine menu as needed.
• Make sure wine club forms are filled out correctly.
• Responsible for washing and polishing glassware, as well as set up and break down of tastings.
Prior experience in service profession – winery, restaurant or retail in a service and sales capacity.
Microsoft Word, Excel and winery POS systems.
Dynamic sales skills with the ability to meet individual and team goals.
Experience in building and coaching teams to success with an emphasis on both achieving goals and fostering high morale.
Exceptional hospitality and communication skills to deliver a world-class guest experience; preferred approach is joyful, down-to-earth, gracious hospitality
Strong organizational skills.
Ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds on an intermittent basis
Ability to work in a standing and/or walking position for long periods of time
Ability to effectively stock wine and non-wine merchandise, set-up and break down
Competitive wages, PTO, Wine Club sign up incentives.