Rooted in Impact
Part of the largest certified B Corp winery in the U.S., Fetzer Vineyards is building a better tomorrow by making quality wines with a conscience and putting people and planet first. A recipient of a United Nations Momentum for Change award for global leadership in climate-smart winegrowing, Fetzer Vineyards stewards an award-winning portfolio of multi-origin wines and spirits that are available in more than 50 countries worldwide.
In addition to robust offerings under the winery’s flagship Fetzer label, the winery also crafts the leading wine from organic grapes, Bonterra Organic Vineyards. Other California offerings include Adorada, Anthony’s Hill, Beckon, Relay, Sanctuary Wines and 1000 Stories, the original Bourbon barrel-aged wine.
In the role of vineyard equipment operator and driver, you will operate all types of vineyard equipment, facility vehicles and trucks as directed. In this role, you will work closely with the vineyard team throughout our sites which include over 1300 acres located in the Ukiah and Hopland areas.
80% Tractor/Vineyard Equipment:
• Performs chopping and mowing, disking, light duty spader/cultivation, coupling and uncoupling of tractor and equipment.
• Shuttles drivers and gondolas from field to loading and unloading areas during harvest.
• May fill in as the driver on a picking crew.
• Operates under vine mechanical weeders (Clemens, Kimco, etc.)
• Calibrates cultivation equipment in the field, and spraying and dusting for application of various chemicals which includes all aspects of the task: mixing load, filling sprayer/duster, being safety conscious of drift during application and cleaning of sprayer/duster.
• Operates pre-pruner, harvester and backhoe.
• Performs daily equipment checks.
• Will supervise and train lower level tractor drivers.
• May be required to assist in the maintenance shop during winter months.
• Use of respirator required.
• Operates all types of trucks and related vehicles/equipment in a safe, courteous manner.
• Checks the status of all critical parts of vehicle using the drivers check off list daily. This check includes the operating conditions of the brakes, turn signals, lights etc.
• Records daily mileage of trucks/vehicles utilized.
• Maintains trip log when assigned run is over 100 miles as legally required.
• Ability to drive company garbage truck.
• Ability to operate truck/trailers during the annual grape harvest. This may include the transportation of grapes, stems and other by-products where overtime work hours are required. This may also include the use of hand tools and shovels in the unloading of these by-products.
• Ability to transport company machinery and equipment to off-site locations as required.
• Maintain vehicle is accordance with department’s established practices. Tasks to include the washing of truck, trailer, tanker and/or related equipment.
• Drive safely at all times taking into consideration loads, traffic, weather and the like.
• Education – High School diploma or GED certificate required. Trade school or college certificate program preferred
• 3 to 5 years related experience and knowledge of vineyard practices.
• Ability to follow complex written and verbal directions and ability to communicate information clearly to others
• Demonstrated understanding and ability to complete skilled level tasks
• Demonstrated ability to follow directions as given by supervisor and work under limited supervision
• Demonstrated reliability and punctuality
• Demonstrated mechanic abilities and advanced understanding of all equipment and implements
• Work effectively in team/crew environment. Ability to direct small crews effectively.
• Adhere to all safety regulations and operating procedures
• Ability to work in all types of weather, temperatures and conditions
• Demonstrated decision making skills required
• Must have flexibility with scheduling including the ability to work late night and early morning shifts as needed to accommodate application of materials to plants
• Successful completion of ATV, front loader, backhoe, skid-steer, water truck and tractor training
• Requires current forklift certification or ability to be certified
• Requires respirator certification/recertification every two years
• Valid and maintained CA Class A Driver’s License required with manual transmission and air brake endorsement and current valid DOT medical card
• Bilingual – English/Spanish, preferred but not required
Ability to lift and carry 20 lbs. on a frequent basis; push/pull up to 100 lbs. on a frequent basis. Requires ability to walk, stand, reach upward and climb on a frequent basis; crawl, squat, kneel, and bend on an occasional basis; requires ability to sit, reach outward and hand and finger dexterity on a constant basis.
About Fetzer Vineyards:
Fetzer Vineyards’ California winery operation includes Mendocino County winery, production and over 1000 acres of vineyard locations. The company employs over 300 across the United States.
Fetzer Vineyards’ corporate office is located at 12901 Old River Rd Hopland, CA 95449. Hopland is a small town of less than 800 people located at the start of the Redwoods of Northern California. It is about a two-hour drive, along scenic U.S. Route 101, north of San Francisco.
Tell us about your passion for the wine industry: apply online http://fetzervineyards.appone.com
Requires successful completion of criminal background, DMV check (if applicable) and drug screen. AA/EOE/M/F/D/V You will be required to submit verification of your citizenship or legal right to work in the United States at the time of an offer of employment.