This is an exciting internship opportunity to work in a winery lab in Paso Robles, CA. J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines is one of California’s leading family-owned and operated wineries, with sustainably farmed, estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey and Napa Valley.
For the 2021 vintage, we are looking for a laboratory intern to assist during harvest and work alongside the rest of the laboratory team and winemakers.
The internship runs from September through November and a typical work week is from five to six days a week with extended flexible hours that could include early mornings, evenings and weekends.
This person will work with the Lab Supervisor and staff to ensure that the wines produced are of the highest quality and enhance the reputation of J. Lohr Winery.
• Efficient and well-executed laboratory operations
• Timely and accurate laboratory reports
• Safe, productive, team-oriented work environment
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Performs chemical analyses as needed: total acidity (TA), pH, free & total sulfur dioxide, enzymatic tests for residual sugar (RS) and malic acid (ML), and yeast concentration & viability.
• Conducts analysis of vineyard samples and incoming fruit and juice
• Perform analyses using leading edge winery instruments
• Prepare reagents and solutions per SOPs
• Record, print, and distribute analysis & results.
• Data entry using Winemaker’s Database (WMDB).
• Tank and barrel sample collection.
• Maintain a high level of safety awareness with all staff through ongoing meetings and training.
• Adhere to and support company policies and decisions in a positive manner.
• Formal education in a laboratory science or 3 years equivalent winery experience is required.
• Requires knowledge of laboratory activities and responsibilities.
• Strong mathematical skills and attention to detail
• Excellent communication skills
• Strong computer skills, including efficiencies in Microsoft Excel, Word, and use of email.
• Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
• Must be able to work in an outdoor environment and perform physical work
About J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines:
Founded more than four decades ago by Jerry Lohr and still family owned and operated today, J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines crafts a full line of internationally recognized wines from its 3,700 acres of sustainably farmed estate vineyards in Paso Robles, Monterey County’s Arroyo Seco and Santa Lucia Highlands appellations, and St. Helena in the Napa Valley. Offering an expressive range of styles, J. Lohr produces five tiers of award-winning wines showcasing its estate fruit – J. Lohr Estates, J. Lohr Vineyard Series, J. Lohr Cuvée Series, J. Lohr Gesture, and J. Lohr Signature Cabernet Sauvignon.
The Lohr family and the J. Lohr family of employees are committed to honesty, excellence and service, with a respect for our employees, suppliers, customers, and the long term health of our company and the environment. We are also deeply committed to continuous improvement, transparency and giving back to the industry and community with leadership and financial support.
For more information about J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, please visit www.jlohr.com.
Please respond with your cover letter that explains why you are well suited for this position at J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines, along with your résumé.
Thank you for your interest in J. Lohr!