Location: Sonoma and Napa Counties
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Job Reports to: VP of Farming
Design and implement on-farm viticulture experiments. Coordinate experiments across regions and winemaking and report results back to cross-functional teams including, but not limited to, vineyard operations, winemaking, JFW Sustainability team, finance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design research trials to address current questions and topics in the vineyard
• Maintain and implement appropriate experimental protocols and field plot designs
• Maintain, implement, and manage data collection; perform statistical analysis from experimental field plots and report on results
• Coordinate treatment applications with vineyard managers and other personnel
• Stay current on wine grape research
• Correlate wine quality with viticultural experiments
• Provide technical support for routine vineyard tasks such as pruning, tying, frost control, training, suckering, leafing, thinning, irrigating, fertilization, harvesting, planting
• Complete special projects as needed
• Bachelor's degree in Viticulture, Plant Biology, Plant Science, or Agriculture plus 5 years of vineyard work experience
• Research experience including data collection, analysis of results, summarizing findings
• Knowledge of viticulture operations
• Technical skills required: Excel, statistics Strong organization, communication and project management skills
• Ability to take direction, work harmoniously with coworkers, clients and vendors
• Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office applications
• Must be capable of occasionally lifting and carrying at least 50 pounds, as well as bending, squatting and walking on uneven ground, doing manual labor outside in all types of weather, walking, standing and performing strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions.
• Must have a valid California Driver's License, be insurable by the company and be able to operate a motor vehicle safely.
Must use personal protective equipment when necessary including, but not limited to, earplugs, gloves, safety glasses, work boots, etc.
Other Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Previous vineyard scouting experience
• Technical writing experience
• Data analysis, coding experience
• CPR/First Aid Certificate.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English
The above information is representative of the work performed in this position; however, it is not all- inclusive. Theomission of a specific duty or responsibility does not exclude it from the position if the work is similar or related to the essential duties and responsibilities.