Slater Run Vineyards, a family vineyard and winery operation located about a one hour drive west of Washington, DC, in Upperville, Virginia (Fauquier County), is looking to hire a Tasting Room Manager. The tasting room is open 5 days a week (11-5) with later hours on Fridays for Club members. Slater Run maintains a 12-acre vineyard and a winery that produces between 4,000 and 6,000 cases/year of premium classic French-style wines. The tasting room focuses primarily on wine service and education rather than on outside or rental events.
The Tasting Room Manager will be responsible for running all aspects of the tasting room business. We are looking for a smart, hardworking, and self-motivated person who is eager to use this position to learn and to build a career in hospitality management. As the company grows, we will offer the right candidate opportunities for career advancement. You do not need a great deal of experience to succeed in this position, just a baseline of hospitality service knowledge and the right mix of personal qualities that will help the company achieve its ambitious goals in a collegial and supportive environment.
• Operate the tasting room on a day to day basis, including opening and closing duties, managing the tasting room staff, serving customers, and helping to maintain all relevant technology, such as the point of service and reservation systems.
• Recruit, hire, train, & manage tasting room associates
• Help oversee and maintain the tasting room premises, including daily assessment, regular cleaning, and basic maintenance of facilities and equipment
• Assist in developing tasting room and marketing materials
• Maintain adequate supply of food, beverage and supplies for tasting room operations
• Participate in regular strategy discussions with the owners and other team members that aim to improve the business, including the customer experience
• Minimum 1-year hands-on experience in a winery tasting room or in a comparable hospitality environment
• Ability to manage changing priorities while maintaining a positive attitude
• Ability to perform physically demanding tasks, such as repeatedly lifting and carrying 40 pounds
• Ability to work a flexible full-time schedule, including weekends, holidays, and seasonal evening duties
• Ability to use a computer for basic word/excel reports, document creation, social media, back office of POS and reservation systems
• Ability to represent Slater Run in a consistently positive and professional way
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service
• Ability to work independently and to supervise tasting room associates
This is a full-time position (salary based on qualifications and experience). Potential for health care benefits and paid vacation.