Producers of iconic brands such as Freakshow, Petite Petit and Earthquake, Michael David Winery is a tour de force as one of the leading wineries in the United States, distributing nationwide and in more than 30 countries. Brothers Michael and David Phillips are 5th generation grape growers whose family has cultivated wine grapes in the Lodi region for nearly a century. Founded in 1984 with little more than an old barn, a used press and a few barrels on a dirt floor, the Phillips brothers released their first commercial wine under the Phillips Vineyards label after years of growing grapes for other wineries. Now celebrating over 35 years as a bonded winery, Michael David Winery has over 800 acres of vineyards in the Lodi Appellation and prides itself on being family owned and operated while practicing meticulous farming and sustainable wine grape growing, resulting in superior quality in the bottle. Recently selected as Wine Enthusiast’s 2020 American Winery of the Year, Michael David wines regularly take top awards and recognition nationally.
To fill the Part-Time Tasting Room Associate position, we are looking for people who enjoy working in a hospitality environment, enjoy customer interactions, promoting and selling wines, fast paced situations, and being part of a wonderful team.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Generating wines sales, club memberships and customer data collection via hospitality, education and sales presentations to winery and hotel guests.
• Working in partnership with co-workers and management to develop memorable guest experiences and meet or exceed individual sales revenue and membership goals.
• Highly motivated sales individuals who enjoy customer interaction while providing wine knowledge and are encourage guest into becoming a Wine Club member
• Provide a superior customer experience and service while providing guests with knowledge on the unique qualities of Michael David wines.
• Be a team player, working with other Wine Bar associates to reach sales goals
• Promote and sell wines, wine club memberships and merchandise by assisting and educating guests in tasting wines.
• Work at winery events onsite or within the community when needed.
• Maintain up to date knowledge on wines and changes in POS procedures.
• Working both behind the bar in the tasting room, as well as, in small or large private.
• Accurately provide and document all pertinent information regarding customer inquires, billing, shipping, pricing, event information, and job related functions
• Able to utilize excellent time management skills
• Open & close the tasting room as needed
• Assist with counts and do inventory in the tasting room
• Demonstrate teamwork responsiveness when asked to do any task consistent with winery standards.
• Ensure safety and security throughout the wine bar, store and café.
• Be professional and hospitable to all guests and employees.
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Must be 21+ years of age or older.
• Must be able to work weekends and holidays.
• Ability to be flexible to take on additional hours if needed in the tasting room and change schedules to cover shifts when needed. Weekend work is expected.
• Able to lift 45lbs. and stand for extended periods.
• Knowledge of wines and an interest in developing expertise in wine.
• Retail/Sales experience (experience in wine/hospitality industry is desirable)
• Good communication skills, bi-lingual Spanish skills helpful
• Computer literate with experience with POS systems.