Created in 1978 by Baron Philippe de Rothschild and Robert Mondavi, Opus One remains committed to realizing our founders’ dream of bringing to life one unique wine that expresses the seamlessly blended personality and character of each family. With a great sense of pride in our work to realize this dream, the people of Opus One bring profound dedication and unsurpassed attention to detail in our daily work. We care deeply for the quality of our relationships within the winery, with our trade partners, and with our customers.
Reflecting the spirit, grace, and uncompromised courtesy of the Founders, the Guest Relations Assistant supports the tasting room staff, assists in setup and cleanup of large parties, ensures the tasting rooms are stocked with all necessary glassware, and helps maintain cleanliness in the winery’s public spaces.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Helps the tasting room staff in opening and closing of the tasting rooms.
• Restocks glassware before, during, and after service in the tasting rooms.
• Assists in setting up glassware, tasting notes, napkins, and spittoons for private tastings, as well as helps break down these tastings when they are finished.
• Supports tasting room hosts during service by bringing guests water and breadsticks, refilling waters, clearing tables, and assisting guests with any requests or needs.
• Helps open and close the winery’s public spaces by uncovering furniture at the beginning of the day and covering it at the end of the day.
• Maintains all heaters with full propane tanks and maintains umbrellas with proper placement for guests.
• Maintains cleanliness in all tasting areas.
• Helps run food from the kitchen to tables in our culinary experiences, or clear dishes from tables.
• Assist guests in transporting wine to their cars.
• Maintain, update, and expand knowledge of viticulture and enology by participating in educational trainings offered by Opus One and by outside sources.
• Speak knowledgeably about all Opus One representatives, distributors, retailers, and vintages offered for sale at the winery or anywhere in the world, knowing details about Opus One or related merchandise to better assist trade guests with their understanding and appreciation of the wine.
• Assist in developing educational/training aids for use by the Guest Relations department.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Two (2) years’ experience working at a winery, wine-related business, hotel, or restaurant; some basic wine knowledge; retail or public relations skills and experience; understanding, desire, and ability to represent Opus One so as best to promote its wines and image; foreign language skills (French, German, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, or Spanish) preferred; college degree or college level coursework preferred; knowledge of viticulture, winemaking, wine marketing, and/or wine tasting preferred.
Excellent command of written and spoken English. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, and percentages. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle or feel. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to sit, walk, climb, stoop, kneel, talk or hear, taste or smell. The employee must have the ability to taste, discriminate and describe on a blind basis a wide range of wines and foods and must have the ability to speak without amplification for a minimum of 4 hours. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
COMMITTMENT TO SUSTAINABILITY
Opus One Winery is committed to doing its part to ensure a sustainable future and improve the environmental well-being of our community. We will continue to ensure minimal impact by continually evaluating our environmental performance and working to improve our program whenever necessary with integrity and purity of focus.
SAFETY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Accident prevention shall be considered of primary importance in all phases of job responsibilities.
• Follow all company policies and procedures including job safety, safety rules and regulations.
• Assist management to always provide safe and healthy working conditions.
• Immediately report all unsafe conditions, work-related accidents, and illnesses to Safety Manager and supervisor.