At Andrew Peller Limited (APL), we deliver the perfect brand experience for every lifestyle, occasion, and generation. Through collaboration, open communication, honesty, drive to win, and accountability, we inspire teammates to be extraordinary every day.
Who We Are
We are one of Canada’s largest and oldest wine companies with a rich heritage in quality winemaking.
We produce some of Canada’s most recognized brands and offer our teammates a challenging and rewarding employment experience.
We are seeking extraordinary, enthusiastic Cellar Master to join our TCV teammates. Tinhorn Creek Vineyards in Oliver, BC is one of the Okanagan’s most innovative and environmentally sustainable estate wineries with an extensive health and safety program. We are a 450-ton winery in the heart of the South Okanagan wine region, with vineyards on both the Golden Mile Bench and the Black Sage Bench. We produce roughly 50:50 white and red, and our two unique vineyard sites allow us to grow both Bordeaux and Burgundy varietals in addition to a dash of Syrah and Gewurztraminer. We employ a basic and natural wine making approach and have a small but skilled team you would enjoy working with.
Reporting to the Assistant Winemaker-TCV the Cellar Master will be responsibilities for day to day management of all cellar operations ensuring maximum productivity, efficiency, and high-quality wines are produced.
We are looking for a teammate with:
• Minimum three harvests/two years’ production cellar experience combined with supervisory experience
• Knowledge of wines and wine production with an understanding of wine chemistry an asset
• Mechanical aptitude and experience in operating a forklift—with previous certification
• Strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to prioritize and manage workflow
• Good judgment/ability to make timely and sound decisions
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• WSET Level 2 an asset
• A solid understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the ability to understand and comply with WorkSafe requirements
This teammate will be accountable for:
• Daily management of all cellar operations including, not limited to:
o operating and maintaining all plant and winemaking equipment (as/when required, including the operation of the bottling line) within annual budget
o scheduling maintenance, arranging repairs with contractors as needed
o keeping records of all maintenance activities
• Directing the work of the cellar crew in all activities of winemaking; scheduling and tracking workflow
• Monitoring performance of cellar crew ensuring cellar crew follow winemaking guidelines and providing instruction, training, assistance, and feedback to cellar team
• Supervising all cellar functions such as grape receiving/grape processing operations at harvest, blending, racking, sanitation, and pre-bottling preparations
• Working with winemakers to ensure proper implementation of winemaking guidelines and quality control procedures, i.e. writing, and maintaining cellar records/keeping, and maintaining/some ordering of cellar supplies
• Being available and on-call to participate in cellar and winery related activities
• Ability to operate forklift and all winery processing equipment.
• Ensuring the security of work area and equipment and assures the safety of employees through compliance with internal systems and EH&S regulations.
• Attending Joint Health & Safety meetings, providing recommendations for solution of safety concerns and conducts monthly safety inspections as per regulatory requirement.
• Following work procedures/practices reporting any unsafe working conditions/hazards to Management team
*Please submit a detailed resume outlining your qualifications no later than April 23, 2021
We are conducting an internal and external search simultaneously. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Andrew Peller Limited is committed to meeting the needs of persons with temporary and/or permanent disabilities in a way that allows them to maintain their dignity and independence. We are happy to discuss any need for accommodation in the workplace and will make an effort to meet those needs a timely manner by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in the areas of information, communications, and employment.