We are looking for interns to join our team at Amici Cellars for the 2021 harvest. Amici is a small, ultra-premium winery located in Calistoga, CA at the northern tip of the Napa Valley. Our focus is on high-end Cabernet Sauvignon and Sauvignon Blanc from the Napa Valley, as well as Pinot Noir and Chardonnay from the Russian River Valley. We source fruit from prestigious vineyards from both valleys: To Kalon, Dr. Crane, Morisoli, Missouri Hopper, Hyde, and El Diablo, just to name a few. Successful candidates will join our winemaking team and be given the opportunity to work closely with some of the valley’s best fruit and our winemakers directly. Our winemaking team is highly involved and includes Tony Biagi, who was named Winemaker of the Year in 2020 by Antonio Galloni.
We take pride in viewing this position truly as an internship for learning how to craft wine at our winery. Interns will be involved in all aspects of the winemaking process, as we do not just stick our interns on a single job for the entire harvest. We strive to create traditionally styled wines using classical techniques with the aid of modern analysis.
Perks of the job: Lunch is provided daily and we frequently have competitive wine tastings where we taste our wines alongside other great Napa Valley/Sonoma County wines. In addition, we can assist with finding housing for interns.
Interns will be involved in all aspects of production including, but not limited to:
- Tank and equipment sanitation
- Competitive tastings with winemaking team
- Red grape sorting and crushing
- Pumpovers and punchdowns
- Red and white fermentation monitoring and additions
- Drain and press operations
- Barrel preparation
- Barrel racking and filling
- Barrel topping
- Basic working knowledge of winery practices and a willingness to learn
- Previous cellar experience is great, but a great attitude and work ethic is most important
- Willing to work long and variable hours, including weekends
- Able to perform demanding physical tasks
- Able to lift and carry at least 50lbs (23kg)
- Able to follow written and oral instruction
- Able to communicate clearly with others