Do you crave the excitement of working at a young, high growth company in the bay area? Do you like working with can-do colleagues in a non-bureaucratic environment? Are you motivated to be part of a high performance team that has a big impact on company success? Yes, yes and yes? Then you might be a good fit for Copper Cane Wine & Provisions marketing team.
Copper Cane is a young, fast growing, luxury wine company based in the heart of Napa Valley. Copper Cane was founded by Joe Wagner in 2014 and includes brands like Belle Glos, Napa Valley Quilt, Elouan and BOEN. Our hospitality business spans:
• Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) which includes wine clubs, outgoing sales, etc.
• Quilt & Co., our recently opened tasting room for the entire portfolio
• AVOW, an upscale three story restaurant next to Quilt & Co. in downtown Napa
• La Cana, a private ranch in Calistoga where Copper Cane’s guests get the ultimate Napa Valley lifestyle experience
The Hospitality Director is a new and essential position at Copper Cane. This leader will be responsible for a strategic plan across the entire business unit and leveraging all potential synergies. This leader will ideally have a background in hotel management, restaurant management, event management and DTC. Wine knowledge is helpful but not essential.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities
Director of Hospitality will be accountable for:
• Guiding long term strategy across the entire business unit and individual properties, annual business planning and business development
• Delivering business performance vs. plan (revenue and operating costs, guest metrics)
• People recruiting, development and management
• Sharpening each property’s differentiation and core selling points and how this is communicated
• Creating and maximizing cross property synergies
• Driving people traffic into AVOW and Quilt & Co.
• Setting and achieving service standards and execution
• Improving and embedding processes
• Direct all planning of trade visits
• Developing a wine-focused events plan across all three facilities
• Make safety a core pillar for employee success
• Ensure maintenance plans are executed
• Create a culture of creativity, engagement and energy
• Filling in for AVOW GM or Q&C manager when needed
• Managing direct reports (AVOW GM and DTC manager), with oversight of their teams
• Reporting to the VP of Marketing
Competencies / Traits
• Creativity and Intellectual Curiosity: an ideas-oriented problem solver and opportunity discoverer; connects “the dots” quickly and perceptively; problem solves without a road map; enjoys challenging conventional wisdom.
• Drive: Collaborative style with high motivation and strong desire to achieve; not afraid of setting aspirational goals; conveys a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure.
• Communication Skills: Translates information into insights; excellent verbal and written communication skills; operates well in informal settings both internally and externally; courage to confidently express an independent point of view.
• Cultural Astuteness and Flexibility: Is pragmatic, adaptable and focused in a fast-paced environment; adapts strategies and approach as new information and circumstances arise; is resilient in the face of challenging obstacles.
• Energy: Shows passion, energy/endurance, intensity and excitement; is outcome/results focused and drives issues to closure; resourceful and innovative; always pushing to find new and better ways of working.
• Customer Focus: enjoys helping others and brings an upbeat attitude to their job, detail oriented, organized and process driven to deliver strong customer outcomes
• Experience in hotel management, restaurant management, and/or wine hospitality.
• College degree (BA or BS), hospitality management degree a plus
• Basic knowledge/understanding of wine
• Weekend events/staffing needs may require schedule flexibility