We are a family owned and operated winery that strives to be a leader in the wine industry and to work with exceptional people who share our values. We produce many well-known brands from our family vineyards and purchased grapes from the Lodi appellation and beyond.
Works under the direction of the Chief Winemaker to help oversee all wine processes from picking decisions through bottling to ensure maximum productivity and efficiency and the high quality of all our wines produced. Specific brand winemaking responsibilities as directed.
Duties and responsibilities
• Responsible for the production of wine bottling blends from the raw products (grapes) to the finished blend. These blends must meet State and Federal TTB regulations and Company standards
• Work in a team environment with the Chief Winemaker and the Cellar Master to oversee and coordinate the cellar process management of grapes, juices and wine including chemical ingredient additions, racks, transfers, clarification, blends, shipping and final preparation for bottling
• Actively participates in the wine tasting process to ensure the attainment of wine flavor profiles which meet market demands
• Address supply/demand issues to help assure out of stock occurrences are minimized and the winery inventory is balanced
• Leads the winemaking team in the development of new and creative methods for improving the quality and efficiency of all wines produced at the winery.
• Assist in the continual upgrade and review of winemaking protocols (backtracking to vineyard block) following Style statements per SKU under the winemaking responsibility of this position.
• Manage and coordinate the bottling schedule with winemaking, bottling, cellar, and lab team.
• Participate in the development of strategic plans for winery capacity, equipment needs and winery development to meet demands including assisting in the preparation of annual and long-term capacity management plans.
• Strive to enhance the overall quality of our wines.
• This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Trains and mentors interns, lab technicians, Associate Winemakers and Enologists
• Influences harvest decisions in the grapes received, crushing, pressing, fermentation process and the viticulture practices in coordination with the Chief Winemaker
• Manages supplies and ingredients, including pre-harvest winemaking supplies, all wine additives, and Fining agents
• Under the direction of the Chief Winemaker will contribute to the grape streaming process, (forecasting, anticipating possible options/impacts of decisions/judgements) chosen at all stages of the winemaking process
• Proactively and in collaboration with other Winemaking staff, develop procedural and quality control manuals relative to all phases of the winemaking process.
• Recommend and implement ongoing processes incorporating state-of-the-art technology and best practices while enhancing the winery’s position in the industry.
• Other duties as assigned by the Chief Winemaker
Education: Bachelors in Enology, Winemaking, Viticulture, or Fermentation Science from an accredited college or University
Experience: 7 years required in Winemaking experience with increasing levels of responsibility
5 years required in production wine growing from grape to bottle, including, but not limited to process control, production processing, work scheduling and prioritizing and government regulations
• Computer skills require intermediate MS Word, Excel, Wine tracking software
• Aptitude and knowledge of wines with excellent organoleptic skills
• Promote teamwork with a positive attitude.
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong working knowledge of all winemaking equipment, processes, and procedures within the winery
• Excellent organizational, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills, with great attention to detail and follow through.
• Ability to work effectively and independently across departments.
• High level of energy, initiative, and creativity.
• Passion for wine and a desire to continue to develop skills and have fun