Position will oversee the production of Viansa Wine and Beverages. Providing the creative and technical direction to support the style of wines set forth by winemaker and Executive team at Viansa Winery. To achieve this, the role will be responsible for all aspects of winemaking from the grape to the glass. The winemaker is expected to work with the marketing team, to provide support to winery events, assist in the training of Sales Staff, promote the brand and be a technical representative at public events. The position provides support to production wineries by developing winemaking protocols, aiding in data management and working with the productions teams to establish good winemaking practices and stable, high quality wines. Responsible for maintaining the health of the wine through direct review of lab analysis to ensure winemaking quality is optimum. Establish and put together R&D projects set forth by the Viansa Executive team and supply quality control samples for all tastings and blend trials.
Responsible for developing and managing the quality control and quality assurance aspects of the winemaking procedures carried out. Working with the production wineries to ensure the accurate and efficient movement of bulk wine between both internal and external facilities. Responsibly for staff education on all aspects of grape growing and winemaking and actively pursuing opportunities to increase the knowledge of the front of house sales teams. Responsible for developing Viansa winemaking protocols and working closely with wineries to ensure that wine production is following these directions. The position requires a detail orientated approach, with a passion in winemaking and the ability to foresee problems before they arise. A strong team player attitude is required, as well as the ability to work alone and be self-motivated.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Managing the production of Viansa Wines at production locations throughout Vintage Wine Estates
- Maintaining detailed and up-to-date records through the Vinpoint winery management software.
- Research and Develop high quality winemaking protocols for the styles of wines crafted.
- Managing wine stability at fermentation, maturation and bottling phases.
- Set up and participates in regular Quality Control and blending trials with Viansa marketing team.
- Monitor LIP compliance in pre-bottling blends.
- Monitor the health of the wine, identifying issues early on and developing solutions.
- Work closely with production winemakers during harvest to check fermentation dynamics, ensure cellar team is following winemaking protocol and request sampling and
analysis of juice and wine.
- Sourcing wines and vineyards that support the brand direction of the Viansa wine portfolio
- Provide assistance to the VWE wine making team as requested by the Regional Director of Winemaking.
- 10+ years of full-time work in the wine industry as a either production manager or (Assist) winemaker.
- Bachelor’s degree in Viticulture and Enology, Fermentation Science, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or a related discipline.
- 6+ years of supervisory experience leading teams.
- Computer skills, including Microsoft Office and the ability to learn other related programs. Detailed approach to data management.