WINEMAKER and VINEYARD MANAGER
Millbrook Vineyards and Winery, a top New York State winery - celebrating 35 years of award-winning wines - seeks talented winemaking and vineyard management individual in winemaking transition over two to three vintages. Located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley, only 90 minutes from NYC or Albany, this position offers an entrepreneurial, creative, and hard-working individual a fulfilling career opportunity with a growing, innovative and profitable operation. Start date: Spring 2021.
Ideal candidate must have:
• A strong, hands on work ethic and a keen desire to learn, understand, analyze, and contribute to the crafting of world class cool-climate wines.
• Must have viticultural experience and a passion to grow quality fruit for the winery’s exclusive use.
• Must have proven experience in winemaking and cellar management.
The position will actively participate in all daily aspects related to winemaking and vineyard management while reporting directly to Vice President/Winemaker/Vineyard Manager and General Manager.
• From growing grapes, managing vineyard staff, grape harvesting, crushing, fermentation, aging, blending, filtration and taste trials through sterile bottling.
• Analyzes grape, juice, wine, and vineyard samples from vine to bottle.
• Assist in the management of personnel involved with the production of grapes and wine: vineyard crew, cellar crew, crush crew, and support staff.
• Assist in winemaking decisions including establishing experimental protocols, blending decisions, lab analyses, barrel selections, and day-to-day winemaking quality control.
• Provide guidance for adherence with quality standards.
• Ensure sanitation standards are met daily.
• Create, document, and implement Standard Operating Procedures.
• Maintains state and federal records, as well as required in-house records. Remain up to date on all compliance issues related to winemaking.
• Manages inventory levels of supplies and materials used in the production of wine.
• Continually looks to innovate winemaking and production and adapt to changing market conditions.
• Research improvements to equipment and processes for wine making.
• Develop new products to support continued growth.
• All other duties as deemed necessary for the successful operation of the company.
• Bachelor’s degree in Enology, Viticulture, or related field.
• A minimum of five years’ experience as a commercial Winemaker.
• At least three years’ experience in a managerial role within a winery.
• Excellent organizational, problem solving, and multi-tasking skills, with great attention to detail and follow through.
• Ability to work effectively and independently across departments.
Ideal Candidate Qualifications
• BS and/or MS in Enology/Viticulture or equivalent experience.
• Certified Pest Control Advisor – PCA.
• Knowledge of laboratory techniques in the testing of juice and wine throughout the process.
• Ability to motivate and supervise members of the vineyard and cellar team in their daily activities.
• Excellent communication skills and a willingness to interact with visitors and press representatives.
• Strong, self-motivated initiative and the ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
• Knowledge and ability in the following areas: Chemistry, Microbiology, Mechanics, Electrical, HVAC, Computers, Hydraulics and Plumbing.
• Desire to increase quality in wine production through detailed study of vineyards and the winemaking process.
• Conversational Spanish language skills.
Compensation and Benefits
• Initial salary based upon relevant experience and duration of relevant experience - $60k to $70k.
• Housing allowance of $1,500/month to locate within 5-10 miles of winery.
• Eligible for annual bonus at management discretion.
• Individual Monthly Medical – $400 contribution to premium.
• 401K available.
• Potential equity participation after successful transition, demonstrated commitment, and the production of successful wine products.
• Must be able to lift and carry 50lbs continuously.
• Position initially reports to: Vice President of Production/Winemaker/Vineyard Manager and to the General Manager
About Millbrook Vineyards and Winery
Millbrook Vineyards & Winery is the premier wine estate in the Hudson River Valley wine region 90 miles north of New York City. Owned and operated by Pebble Ridge Vineyards & Wine Estates, https://www.millbrookwine.com/family/ a vineyard and wine group devoted to producing the finest grapes and wines in their respective growing regions. Millbrook Winery began in 1982 at an abandoned 130-acre dairy farm by Pebble Ridge Chairman and C.E.O., John S. Dyson, and General Manager David H. Bova. Winemaker John Graziano joined soon after and in 1985 their first vintage was bottled. Millbrook Vineyards & Winery celebrates its 35rd vintage in 2020. Today, the wine roster includes the highly regarded Tocai Friulano, Chardonnay, Riesling, Gruner Veltliner, Gamay Noir, Pinot Noir, and Cabernet Franc. The winery produces more than 15,000 cases of wine annually. Millbrook Vineyards & Winery offers guided tastings at their beautiful winery and breathtaking grounds.