Union cares more about what goes into the glass than what kind of glass it is. Not willing to sacrifice taste or value, we challenge our team to balance tradition with the latest technology, crafting exceptional Oregon wines at extraordinary prices. All of our wines capture the spirit of Oregon in a way you can put on your table every day.
Union Wine Company is a family oriented business, and is operated on a set of values that reflect the values of our family: work hard, be kind, laugh often, be responsible, act with honesty and integrity, don’t take yourself too seriously, and treat others with respect. If you embrace and act upon those values, you’ll get along just fine at Union Wine Company.
The Packaging Supervisor at Union Wine Company will manage day-to-day operations associated with a high-speed bottling and canning line to ensure quality of finished goods, minimal scrap, and maximum productivity. Reporting to the Production Winemaker, the Packaging Supervisor will be responsible for the overall efficiency of packaging operations, ensuring smooth execution of all packaging activities and driving continuous improvement.
A successful candidate for this role has significant experience in manufacturing (beverage-specific strongly preferred) in both a hands-on and leadership capacity. You aren’t afraid to get dirty and learn intimately the ins and outs of every machine on the line, while directly managing the daily workflow and staffing needs, as well as honing the necessary investments and improvements to the Packaging Facility alongside the Production Winemaker. You should have a mindset and work ethic able to balance the primary priorities of safety, quality, and operational efficiency, able to prioritize big ticket items, while wanting to eke out every bit of efficiency from the equipment as well as the staff and workflow.
You will need to have the ability to operate autonomously and feel empowered to make decisions, while also following direction and staying focused on the Union Wine Company agenda. This includes oversight of packaging line staff, equipment, and bulk and packaged wine quality parameters, as well as daily hands-on work to understand and modify existing infrastructure to ensure quick, quality throughput. It is expected that roughly 60-80% of your time on any given day is spent on the packaging line floor, working as needed to improve operational efficiency, guide workflow, demonstrate expectations and more efficient methods of work, and to fill in gaps.
You will be tasked with ensuring all SOPs, safety programs, QC/QA parameters, preventative maintenance programs, GMPs, HACCP plans, and general facility and warehouse organization and record keeping are organized and adhered to. You will ensure the facility follows all city, state, and federal regulations.
In conjunction with management, the Packaging Supervisor will execute and work to improve upon annual financial and productivity objectives.
• Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
• Flexible and adaptable - enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction.
• Results-driven – everything you do should ultimately focus on getting things done.
• Excellent communication skills
• Technical capacity – a knack for all things that operate in a manufacturing facility.
• Great attention to detail - thoroughness in accomplishing a task through concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to changes in temperature, indoor and outdoor weather conditions, fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment and job sites can be loud. The role requires the ability to work under pressure and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing up to 80% of the day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time exempt position. Typical hours of work and days are Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm. Must have the ability to work long hours and/or 7 days a week during critical times and without notice, depending on circumstance or production needs, without adversely affecting performance. It is expected that you will be flexible with shifts and available to work any day/time.
• 5 or more years of demonstrated leadership in a fast paced production environment, preferably in food processing and/or liquid filling/bottling/canning
• 3 or more years in a management role
• High School Diploma or equivalent
• Ability to train and direct efforts of multi-functional work teams as well as conduct meetings.
• Knowledge of applicable OSHA standards, safety, quality, sanitation, maintenance systems, and warehousing methods
• Working knowledge of MS applications including proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Outlook, and ability to grasp additional business-related applications
• Basic knowledge of lean manufacturing principals, with a continuous improvement mindset
• Ability to continuously develop and mentor team members and staff as needed to meet department objectives.
• Ability to partner with other senior leaders and company resources to drive results.
• Maintenance experience a plus
• Food processing, liquid filling//bottling,/bottling, or consumer goods manufacturing/packaging industry experience a plus
We offer an excellent benefit package. Medical, dental, vision, short and long term disability.